Plugins not working with pro

I have a fresh install of Pro. Every plug in I try to install gives this error Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘[’ in /home/content/83/8384283/html/wp-content/plugins/tco-google-analytics/tco-google-analytics.php on line 114.
I have reinstalled wordpress, pro and the database in hopes of fixing this issue. Plugins outside of pro seem to install and work normally

Hi there,

Thanks for posting in.

That is a plugin error and not the theme error, though, I like to check if there is a connection between the two. Would you mind providing your admin and FTP login credentials? The site’s URL as well :slight_smile:

Thanks!

info in secure note

Hi there,

Thank you for providing the information. I checked the website and the culprit was the Google Analytics plugin somehow.

Now for testing, I added the Duplicate Post plugin and it installed correctly.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for looking into this issue, however, it is the plugins that come with X or pro that are not working properly. I tried to install under construction as well and get the same fatal error: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘[’ in /home/content/83/8384283/html/wp-content/plugins/tco-under-construction/tco-under-construction.php on line 115

I get this error with all the plugins in Pro

3rd party plugins like the under construction plugin I am currently using install with out issue. it is only the plugins that are already in the pro tab that i have this issue with.

They install and then when you try to activate them you get this: parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘[’ in /home/content/83/8384283/html/wp-content/plugins/tco-custom-404/tco-custom-404.php on line 114

I have tried 3 different plugins in the Pro overview tab and none will activate without this error

Thanks

Hi @Lt_Grim626,

I’ve confirmed this is a bug in the Extensions. It has to do with using a newer PHP syntax that allows arrays to be declared with []. We’ll get it fixed with an upcoming release.

That being said, I would highly recommend updating PHP. I installed a plugin on your site called “Debug Bar”. If you click “Debug” from the right side of the toolbar you will see some information about your site. Notice that you’re using PHP version 5.2.17. While technically WordPress supports this (and we do as well, so we’ll fix the bug) it is not advisable to be using a version this old.

Take a look at PHP unsupported branches, and their “end of life schedule”

http://php.net/eol.php
http://php.net/supported-versions.php

PHP 5.2.17 was released six and a half years ago. This is why on occasion bugs like this slip through our testing, and can go a while before they are noticed.

A more serious problem is that end of life PHP versions don’t get security updates. There are a number of known vulnerabilities that affect 5.2.17 (https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-74/product_id-128/version_id-106044/PHP-PHP-5.2.17.html). Sometimes webhosts will retroactively patch those, maintaining PHP into the future themselves, but it’s just better to have everything up-to-date to be sure.

We’d recommend running at least PHP 5.6. It’s also a good time to upgrade to PHP 7.

Thank you very much for your guidance with this issue. I am updating our PHP to 5.6. Unfortunately, my host does not support PHP 7 yet but at least we will improve for the time being,

You’re welcome! :slight_smile: