Permalinks problem, page creation works but can't edit them in Cornerstone or see pages public (gives 404 error)

Hi there.

I have a problem with permalinks, at least what I’ve learned and tested on my site. I can create new pages and my permalink structure is per post name (sitename.com/new-page). Everything goes fine when creating a new page but when I try to open the page in Cornerstone I get an immediate 404 error, as well as if I try to open the page in public side.

I have searched thru forums and web, done everything I can (flushed permalinks by saving them again, manually changed .htaccess, etc) but still can’t figure out how to fix the problem.

What I have found is that everything works perfectly if I change permalinks to plain (sitename.com/?=123) mode so that only convicts me it’s all about permalinks or permalinks rewrite rights in my server.

Can you please help me out ?

EDIT: Not sure but one issue could be that .htaccess is not enabled and config file should be edited with AllowOverride All (Ref. https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/wordpress-permalinks-not-working-on-ubuntu-14-04)

Hi there,

Thanks for posting in.

It could be something else if it’s only happening within the builder. Perhaps requests are being blocked by your site’s security. Or accessing the live page results to 404 as well? I could check it but the login credentials are incorrect. Please provide the correct one :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi.

Anyway, permalink not working is also happening on live pages too. It’s might be on server side too, where they might not have either:

A) enabled rewrite module
B) set AllowOverride to All (instead of None) in conf file
C) set Options FollowSymLinks in conf file

I have already sent request to my web host and asked them to check these. But, if it’s just not too inconvenient, please check for yourself too. You can try set permalinks to plain and realize that then everything works just fine, and then switch back to post name, and the problem is back.

Hi there,

Yes, it’s the host issue. Could be due to rewrite or something else. And usually, it should display Wordpress 404 page instead of host 404 message.

You may contact them for proper rewrite configuration.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.