Password Protected Page Sometimes Does Not Work

I’ve added a new page to my X Theme WordPress site that is password-protected. I’ve enabled this in the regular WP page editor. It seems to work on Google Chrome Mobile browsers, but not on Google Chrome Desktop or laptops. Works fine with Safari. I have given the link and password out to many people who I want on the page, and some of them are able to use it successfully and some not. I’ve tried disabling all third party plugins, clearing the cache of the website (and browsers), and nothing seems to change. I have no idea what is causing this or how to fix it.

The page is https://curtisthementalist.com/esoterica/

Password is The3mpty5afe

I know that it is only working sporadically because I am receiving email subscribers to the page, who cannot access this without a successful login. Also, after placing the link and password on an online forum, I have received messages about some people not being able to login.

Hi @ConjuringMind,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like a cache issue, clear your Autoptimize plugin’s cache then deactivate your caching plugin and other optimization plugins. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services while testing and see if this resolves the issue.

I checked your page in Chrome’s incognito mode and it worked as expected. Alternatively you can use the Protected Content shortcode: https://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/protected-content/

Let us know how this goes!

So far none of this is working. I’m not using a CDN. And I just got another frustrated message from someone saying that the password wasn’t working, and an earlier alert telling me a had a new subscriber to the page.

Sigh…

Also, I am using the Renew stack and not Integrity. Would this shortcode work on that as well?

Hello @ConjuringMind,

I am another staff checking in. I tested your page in Chrome, Firefox and Opera. I could not replicate any issue. Right after I input the password, I can read the contents. And yes, the shortcodes will work in any of the stacks. Actually all of those classic shortcodes will work in any of stacks. It’s just that they have a different styling:

Hope this helps.

Thanks for checking in. I really appreciate it.

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Google Chrome on my Mac. Suddenly everything worked…ONCE.

After clearing the browser cache and trying again, the exact same issue arose. I get a blank screen that takes me to this url: https://curtisthementalist.com/wp-login.php?action=postpass

When I hit the back button after this happens, suddenly I can see the content.

Pardon me for my ignorance, but should I just disable this “Password Protected” option in WordPress from the WP page editor and just use the shortcode in the Renew Stack only? Or do I need BOTH? How do I do this?

Hey @ConjuringMind,

I tried accessing the page also and it was successful. It’s possible that your website users did not completely copy the password. Already 3 of us could not replicate what your users are describing. Because we can’t replicate, we can’t tell how to fix this.

Please try using our Protected Content Shortcode as mentioned by Ruenel instead of the WordPress Password Protection feature.

Thanks.

Thanks for all you have done. I apologize if I’m coming off a bit curt with any of you, but this has been frustrating to say the least. It’s nice to know that it is actually working properly, but I will try using the shortcode instead and see if that is any better.

Hey @ConjuringMind,

No worries, we totally understand, You should use the Protected Content shortcode and it will work without problems if you face any further issues with WordPress’s Password Protection feature.

Cheers!

Could you please link me to some information about the use of the Protected Content Shortcodes? Everything else I’m finding isn’t really addressing what it is I’m needing to do. I want to password protect the entire page if possible as I will be adding a lot of video content to this page that I want protected. It seems the shortcodes only password protect individual elements of content. It doesn’t even seem that there’s a way to customize this content, unless I’m mistaken.

Hi @ConjuringMind,

Sorry for going around, definitely you need the native Wordpress Password Protection.

And did you password protect this page (https://curtisthementalist.com/esoterica/) right now? because I was able to see this page without requiring a password. Unfortunately, I can’t check it myself because the Wordfence block me when I attempt to login.

If the Wordpress Password Protection is not really working on your site, the closest thing that cause this is a caching or a plugin conflict.

Please clear all your caching features and do a plugin conflict test.

Thanks,

I’ve removed the password protection from the page completely and have made the content public. Between the people that I’m producing some of the content for, one of my clients, and my general target audience I’m getting nothing but complaints and I don’t know why. My client tells me I’m making it too complicated by having password protected content, which is ridiculous since some of the stuff being released in the future should not be publicly available. I’ll keep it from being indexed by search engines I suppose and kind of take it from there.

Thanks for your help.

You are most welcome!
We really appreciate for letting us know.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.