Page crashes when The grid and Cornerstone are activated at the same time

Hi,

At www.asbjornflo.net I have received a PHP error message.

It seems as if the page crashes when the plugins The grid and Cornerstone are activated at the same time.

Do you have any tips on what to do next?

Sincerely

Asbjørn

Hello Asbjørn,

Thanks for writing to us.

It seems that there might be an issue of plugin conflict or version compatibility issue. Please make sure your theme, plugin, WordPress, and PHP version is updated as per our version compatibility page. I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing For Theme Related Issue
  2. Testing For Plugin Conflict
  3. Theme Update
  4. Child Theme
  5. Css/Js Customization
  6. Increasing Php Memory Limit
  7. Disabling Cache
  8. Disabling Cdn
  9. Permalinks
  10. Version Compatibility

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copying your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP Details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Hey Asbjørn,

The message may be caused by:

• incorrect file and/or directory permissions
  • invalid configuration in .htaccess
  • a programming error, e.g. crashes, uses too much memory, or too long time
  • a missing file, which is attempted loaded by a require() statement, or similar
  • full server storage (all available space used)
  • compromised server due to vulnerable software, e.g. outdated WordPress or plugins, etc.

This problem can be solved by those who made or are maintaining the web pages. You may need to contact your hosting provider for further assistance.

Best Regards.

Hi Ruenel

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Two questions:
Taking into account the updated info I sent you in the secure note: do I still have to go through the list from prakash or is this not relevant anymore?

The fact that this only happens when both plugins are on at the same time has nothing to do with the plugins themselves?

Best Regards

Asbjørn

Hi Asbjørn,

Yes, you need to do the basic troubleshooting mentioned by my colleague Prakash and let us see if it helps you fix your issue. If it doesn’t help, then you need to contact your hosting provider as my other colleague Ruenel suggested.

Thank you.

HI Asbjørn,

The thread is open again as requested in the private message. Please add your new updates here.

Thank you.

Hi marc_a,

I went through the list from @ruenel and @prakash_s.

The page stops crashing when I turn off any one of these three plugins: WPML Multilingual CMS, Cornerstone and The Grid.
I turned caching on and cached all the pages. With cashing on it does not crash although all the plugins are still on, but I am not sure if this is a good solution.
Also my Php Memory Limit is set to 256 MB not 512 MB.

More detailed info in the secure note.

Any ideas on what to do?

Best Regards

Asbjørn

Hi Asbjørn,

Thanks for the info, base on your info given this can be resource exhaustion. It could be the site is reaching the PHP Memory limit or the PHP Execution time, if you’re running a lot of heavy resource plugin, then 256mb might not be enough. Also, try increasing your PHP Execution time limit, the PHP time limit might be too short for your site to run all its needed stuff.

Another thing, The Grid has its own caching feature, try clearing and deactivate that under The Grid > Global Settings.

If nothing works, please provide us login credentials in a “Secure Note” so we can take a closer look.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

Hi friech,

I tried clearing the cache in the Grid and now the site do not crash.

More detailed info in the secure note.

Any thoughts on what to do to ensure that all is fine going forward?

Best Regards

Asbjørn

Hi Asbjørn,

Yup that could be it, multiple caching plugins/features can be tangle up and cause weird issues. Deactivating caching plugins/features does not mean the cache is clear, so one way of avoiding this kind of issue is to configure the cache properly, and always remember to clear cache when something is change/update on the site.

Your server seems to be limiting, even though the local value has success increase the master value still has memory_limit: 129M and max_execution_time: 60

Yes you can removed the php-info.php now.

Cheers,

Hi,

Thanks!

Should I turn the cache on in the Grid?

Hi Asbjørn,

Since you already have a caching plugin, you can leave the The Grid caching deactivated.

Cheers!

Ok, thanks! Do you have any thoughts on what I should do to ensure that everything goes well with the websites in the future and that it remain stable? Is there any troubleshooting I need to do, or should I expect that everything is fixed now?

Best regards

Asbjørn

Hi Asbjørn,

Just make sure everything is always up to date, X, Cornerstone, WordPress, and Plugins. Then make sure to clear all caching after an update.

If you need to do common troubleshooting, you can follow this guide provided here.

Cheers!

Hi friech,

Just out of curiosity:
Do you have any idea why the cache from The Grid crashed the page?

Even with The Grid on, turning one of the two other plugins (WPML, Cornerstone) off stopped the crashing. Also, caching in the Grid was as far as I remember never activated, although maybe i did for a short while a long time ago.

According to my web host, “Local value” is max_execution_time 300 and memory_limit is 256M, so those seems kind of ok.

All the best

Asbjørn

Hello Asbjørn,

In order to help you with your concern, we need to check your settings. Please share your login credentials and FTP details in the secure note.

Thanks

Hi prakash_s,

My question was more out of curiosity. As long as it works I guess it is fine.

I will do a little more testing before finishing this case.

All the best

Asbjørn

Hi Asbjørn,

As my colleague, Friech said, your website might using a lot of resources that’s why the page is crashing. It seems that you are in shared hosting and that’s one factor the site is crashing when you have a big website. I know this is not ideal for a single website but I am suggesting looking at the dedicated server to have more resources and stability.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Hi marc_a,

Today I did an extra test just to be sure, and the crashes had returned. Details in the secure note.

Can you take a look at this?

Sincerely

Asbjørn