One page on the site - Failed to Save error (tried all common issues) still can't update / edit the page = ModSecurity Error

Hi Team,
This page only on the website is problematic.

I sent a request to the isp and they replied with the following:

Upon consulting our server logs for your domain ‘faces.africa’, we can confirm the following ModSecurity errors have been generated when using ‘/wp-json/themeco/data/save’ which would suggest the errors below are generated when you are attempting to save your page.

Kindly find these errors down below,

faces.africa [Tue Jan 12 22:57:54 2021] [error] [pid 22287] apache2_util.c(273) [client 197.94.22.104:56685 ] - [client 197.94.22.104] ModSecurity: Request body no files data length is larger than the configured limit (1048576)… Deny with code (413) [hostname “faces.africa”] [uri “/wp-json/themeco/data/save”] [unique_id “X-4NUCYe4konvTlXp3rbuQAAGgE”]

faces.africa [Tue Jan 12 23:00:27 2021] [error] [pid 22287] apache2_util.c(273) [client 197.94.22.104:56711 ] - [client 197.94.22.104] ModSecurity: Request body no files data length is larger than the configured limit (1048576)… Deny with code (413) [hostname “faces.africa”] [uri “/wp-json/themeco/data/save”] [unique_id “X-4N6SYe4konvTlXp3rdxAAAOwA”]

Please be advised, we are unable to disable the above Modsecurity rule as this would negatively affect our security on our servers as well as all other domains hosted on this server as this is a shared server.

Due to the above, we advise providing the above logs to your website developer as they will need to investigate and make the relevant changes to ensure the above Mod security rule does not trigger again.

If you require further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for reaching out.
There might be some broken HTML or content is the cause of the issue which may be blocking the page to be saved. I would suggest you check by deleting the section one by one till the issue is fixed, and the last one you have deleted before the fix is the actual issue.
If that does not help, can you please provide login credentials for your site in a secure note to examine it further, including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

Hi Rob,

We’ve received your note, and your original error message was very helpful. I’ve tried logging into your site, but it’s not accepting the credentials. Would you mind double checking them?

From what you’re describing, it isn’t saving because the size of the page content is too large for that mod security rule. In the next version, we’ve added some compression to help lower the payload size. This should help get around this limit. However, if the limit of the server is still too low it’s possible that you’ll run into triggering this mod security rule again.

Once we have the login credentials, if you want we can install a patched version on your site that includes the compression and should hopefully get things working until the official release goes out.

Hi Alex, appreciate the guidance. I have a workaround to split the sections up into different pages/categories (cycling, running, etc) - this way there will be fewer sections per page. Thank you

Sounds good. After the next update I think you won’t run into this nearly as often.

Hi Alex, I am running into the problem now on all pages of the site. It literally just changed after I updated Pro to Version: 4.0.11. I cant edit more pages of the site now. Earlier today I was making edits with no issue. I limited the sections in order to not have an issue. But now I can’t even edit other pages that were built months ago. Any thoughts / advise, please! - https://wordpress.cimso.com/

1 Like

Hey Rob,

I edited the home page and did save it and it was successful. The only page that won’t save has lots of sections so the Mod Security setup won’t allow such a size to be saved still.

I’ll pass this to Alex also.

Please stay tuned.

Hi Rob,

Sure thing, I’ve installed a development build on your site. We’re anticipating the official release being early next week. When you get an automatic update notice it will be safe to update. Pro 4.0 was a huge pretty big refactor and after observing it for the past few weeks on production sites we’ve been able to make a handful of performance improvements for this release. You should see the builder working a bit faster than it has been.

Hi Christian. Great news thank you. I logged in earlier this afternoon and I was, in fact, able to edit all the pages mentioned above. Huge relief. Thank you for checking in. Appreciate the attention to detail. I will continue by splitting the installed sites into two pages so that we can go live asap as planned. Many thanks Rob

Hi Rob,

Glad that we are able to help you.

Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.