One of 'classic' CS pages just refuses to load in the CS editor

My site is here: http://owenbillcliffe.co.uk

Login credentials in a secure note below.

I am seeing a LOT of problems since Cornerstone 2.1.3 but the worst hit is my page ‘London Event Photography’ which simply refuses to load properly in the CS editor. The top section loads, the rest just loads in the placeholder elements and then black spinners sit there spinning forever. The content never ever loads.

I have tried:

  • turning off ALL plugins
  • inserting the PHP memory code in htaccess
  • turning off WP Rocket
  • purging the Rocket cache
  • purging the browser cache
  • trying different browsers (usually use Chrome, have tried Safari too)

Here’s the only way I’ve been able to make the content appear:

  • try to load the page, get the black spinners in all elements
  • go to Templates and save the page as a new page template as is
  • refresh the page, get the black spinners in all elements
  • go to Templates and load in the template I just saved
  • all content appears

However:

  • while I can edit the content in the sidebar on the left, it doesn’t update in the preview
  • if I save the page and reload it again, while the rendered public page shows the updates the preview returns to showing me the black spinners all over again.

And that’s before I get started on how many elements have been renamed stuff like ‘New Element’ or ‘2/3’, and other weird stuff. And the tiny text size in the box for editing custom headlines. And the daft new </> text box that can’t be expanded. And all manner of other stuff that’s just so, so poor compared to the previous version of CS which worked like a dream in comparison.

Anyway, if you can find out why this particular page is such a pain in the backside now I’d be really grateful!

Cheers!

Hi,

I tried editing the page in chrome and firefox and it seems to work fine on my end.

See Video - https://www.screencast.com/t/P3JKYdlC6Wn8

Can you try clearing your browser cache as well.

Thanks

I have done. In Google Chrome, clear history, select cached images, cookies, etc, from beginning of time, go to edit that page in Cornerstone and just spinning black wheels on every single element below the top header section. In Safari, Firefox, Chrome. I even download Firefox specifically for this test as I haven’t used it in years. Still happens.

I have no idea how you have it running and I don’t, and it’s driving me crazy! :frowning:

Hi there,

I checked and it could be due to your site’s performance, I’m getting this message

Gateway Timeout

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.

I checked your memory limit it’s okay, perhaps this is due to CloudFlare OR CDN that you set. And due to this, there are two javascript errors affecting the builder’s loading process. The first error is from Justified Image Grid plugin so I deactivated it. The second error is from cornerstone itself, but I’m not sure which is causing it, would you mind providing your FTP login credentials as well? I’ll check if there are any error logs, or you may provide it by requesting from your hosting provider.

Thanks!

  1. I don’t use Cloudflare or a CDN.
  2. Dude, I appreciate the help BUT, leaving my plugins turned off is NOT cool. I don’t get chance to check this forum often (I didn’t have email alerts turned on, I do now!), so I only just found out, 12 hours later. Leaving JIG turned off made no difference to the page loading in Cornerstone preview, but it did make my site look like crap on every page that uses that plugin (which is a lot).
  3. FTP login in secure note, if it helps. Thanks

Hi there,

I’m in the middle of the investigation while toggling your plugin on and off to find what’s causing it, then your site’s suddenly became unavailable. There is no way I can turn them on again, and since you said you already deactivated them I have to confirm it by doing that. But, I wouldn’t do that again in your live site, please clone your site in a staging and I’ll test it there, a place where I can toggle all features off while investigating.

Thanks!