Ok, so after many searches, tried many of the suggestions that may or may not have worked for the customer in question, with no luck. I updated X or whatever it is called now, and not to Pro, but I can’t check the version of X due to a 500 error now. I’ve uninstalled the theme, reinstalled and created child theme, deleted all non theme essential plugins and reinstalled, and just wasted a vast amount of time. I have a deadline to relaunch this site by friday, and I’ve spent more time in the past 2 weeks researching this errors and issues rather than getting content up and going. Let me know what I need to send to have the website checked and theme issues/dependencies.
Earlier today I was getting “A conflict on the front end of your site has prevented the preview from loading.” error from Cornerstone. Adjust hta access and config files so should be plenty of Memory.
Need help Please.