Multilingual Header Assignment conflict

I am confused about why the header assignments seem to hijack each other when assigned to “global”. Assigning “global” to one language side seems to override the other which also is reflected on the front end. There’s really no way for me to accurately type the issue out in words, so please take a look at the screenscast in the secure note.

Thanks

Hello @threeoten,

Thanks for writing in!

I have logged in and checked your site. It seems that there is no issue at all.

Before I have tested your site, I have renegerated your Autoptimize cache and then cleared your WP Fastest Cache first. This is just a caching issue.

After doing the updates and site changes like after saving the custom header/footer, always remember to clear all caches since you have installed Autoptimize and WP Fastest Cache plugin so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

And please clear your browser cache too. You may use private browsing mode in testing your site to make sure that you are viewing the latest codes from the updates and not the cached version in your browser.

Best Regards.

It is not a caching issue. You are testing the wrong header.

As I said in the video, the homepage has it’s own separate header and thus is not the same header that appears on every other page. The home page header assignments seem to work just as intended for both languages. It’s the GLOBAL header that seems to have this issue. I assign global on the English side and the banner will then take you to the english page (regardless of what language you select on the front end). And inversely, if I go over to the Spanish side in the header builder and assign GLOBAL (spanish) to be the global header… then the english side of the site is affected and then the banner will take you to the spanish link on both english and spanish sides of the site (except for the homepage… don’t do your testing on the homepage.)

Hi @threeoten,

I disabled your two cache plugin while we’re investigating. And based on your video, it seems the English version of the header is not connected ( translation equivalent ) to Spanish header. And the time you click the language flag while editing English header, it switches to header listing for the Spanish instead of directly loading the builder of that header.

And with that, it seems you created the header individually instead of just one header and translate it?And that’s why when you click Global (Spanish), it’s not assigned as global and that’s because it’s a completely different header.

Before we go further, as this issue may remain if this happens to be translation data related, then would you mind creating a staging/clone of your site? Then please update the X theme and cornerstone to the latest and then make sure your WPML version is at 4.2.6.

Then on your staging, you can test if the issue persist, else, I recommend re-creating a new header (but just minimal header for testing). Then translate it through this option (go to header listing)

Then add some changes to both English and Spanish header so you could distinguish if the header is loading correctly to the said language. If it’s working, then I’m afraid you’ll have to re-do your faulty header as the issue is WPML data related which can be permanent.

Thanks!

I’m using Pro, not X/Cornerstone. I have WPML 4.3.11 …why do I need 4.2.6? According to your document page on WPML you list compatibility with version 4.2.9, but it’s not clear to me if that is for X or Pro or Both? Using the newest version of Pro, which version of WPML should I be using and why can I not keep it updated to the latest version?

When I do a new test header and then switch to the spanish side, hit translate, I see no options to choose from in the dropdown. Not sure why…

Hi @threeoten,

The stated compatible version listed on this article applies on both X and Pro theme.

Yes, compatible version listed is 4.2.9.

Since I didn’t see your staging site, I logged on the site provided above and saw the test header. I added some content in it and then tried to translate. The dropdown have content. I am able to copy existing then once copied, I edited the headline content. It works as expected. Please confirm.

And what are the compatible versions of WPML String Translation and WPML Translation Management?

Also, no matter what I do when I go to translate the header there is no content in the dropdown, just like the photo in my last post.

However… I’ve somehow managed to get it to work by making an entirely new header and copying things over by using templates. I attempted to do the translation of the header as you describe but it still does not have any options in the dropdown. So I hit “start from blank” instead, added the containers and applied the saved presets. Now it works. But I don’t want to run into this again… do you have any idea why I can’t see anything in the dropdown in order to properly copy from existing headers when making a translation?

Hi @threeoten,

Please try the following version and then try again.
WPML 4.2.9
String Translation 2.10.4
Translation Management 2.8.5

If the issue persists, can you inspect the developer tools and see if you can find any error?

If none, please also try using another browser. See if it will works. Let us know how this goes.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.