Moving from Cornerstone builder to Guttemberg

Hello Guys,

I want to get rid of cornerstone builder and move all my content on Guttenberg. Before doing any damage and losing my content I wanted to ask you if it’s safe. Can I just switch to the block editor for each post?
or can I deactivate cornerstone plugin ? can you please suggest a smooth way to do it for a seamless transition?

thanks a lot
cheers
Isabella

Hi Isabella,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please note that Cornerstone is a required plugin to run the X theme and other functionalities smoothly. If you deactivate Cornerstone many theme functionalities will break.

The Gutenberg is a WordPress page builder, so the pages created with Cornerstone are not editable in Gutenberg or moved to Gutenberg and vice versa because Gutenberg and Cornerstone are two different page builders.

If you’re planning to move to Gutenberg, you’ll need to create pages from scratch and keep the Cornerstone activated.

Hope this helps!

Hello there, I am sorry but your answer is not accurate. I absolutely can switch from Cornerstone builder to guttemberg without loosing the post. I just need to make some editing adjustment, but it’s possible without creating the pages from scratch. I just tried on one. The only problem is that I can’t use the elements that I use with cornerstone. or do elements have codes that i can use?

thanks
regards

Hey Isabella,

Nabeel answered your questions correctly but it sounds like what you’re expecting is different so it’s not accurate to you which is understandable. Let me clarify or connect your questions to Nabeel’s answers then add my own reply to attempt to make the overall answers accurate.

My answer: Yes. The page will display fine since the builder’s shortcodes are already generated. But, if you edit the page using Gutenberg, you won’t be able to go back to Cornerstone builder without losing the edits you’ve made in Gutenberg. You can try it.

My answer: No, because Cornerstone is required by X. They share functions. What you can do is disable Cornerstone for all Post Types in X > Settings > Permissions

------------------------------------------------------------

To your new questions:

Almost all the Classic Elements have a shortcode version but we do not recommend that use of them anymore as coding is error-prone. If you still wish to use them, you can check the old demos here: https://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/

V2 elements don’t have a shortcode version but if you wish to display a V2 element using a shortcode, you need to create a Global Block. See https://theme.co/docs/global-blocks

Hope that helps.

Well, that’s a different answer and that’s accurate. I don’t want to switch from gutenberg to cornerstone, but from Cornerstone to Gutenberg and that’s possible, differently from what Nabeel said.

Yes I understood that i need to leave the cornerstone plugin active even if I am not using it. that’s fine.

Ok for the shortcodes. Understood.

thanks for clarifying.

on another note Can you please tell me how can I reduce the margins like in the screen-shot below without using cornerstone?
is it a theme feature?
thanks a lot again
cheers
Isabella

1 Like

Hello Isabella,

We can see that you are using the WP Gutenberg’s Image block. This block has its own default margins and it is why there is a gap between the sides and it is not aligned to the text below.

Regretfully this block does not have any option for you to change the margins. You may only change the alignment of the image to center, wide or fullwidth as shown below.
xqTU7zsxRTqfdhLXUc_3zw

Please be advised that this a default WordPress editor Gutenberg. Any support modification regarding this particular block is beyond the scope of our support already.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hello @ruenel thanks for your kind reply. I am sorry if I wasn’t clear in my question.
The image is not really an issue.

I don’t think it’s a Gutemberg issue because I was talking about the general margins as you can see from this screenshot below.

the image is ok. But I would like the text to be at least aligned with the picture living the same margin on the left and right ends.

I have found this CSS code that you guys gave me once but I am not sure if this is referred to that margin. I have tried to change it but nothing changed.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 21.48.56

would that be something like that?

Thanks a lot for your kind assistance

Cheers
Isabella

Hello Isabella,

The image and the text were contained with the entry-content wrapper. Therefore if you apply the same principle using the code above, you will have this custom css:

.single-post .entry-content.content {
    margin-right: 0;
    max-width: 800px;
}

The problem is that because the Gutenberg Image block has also a margin, it will also move the image which will still not be able to align to the text. What you really need is to adjust the Gutenberg Image block and you need to add CSS code into X > Theme Options > CSS . You need to use the Google Chrome Developer Toolbar to check the live HTML code and find which CSS selector you need to use.

The WP Gutenberg image block is using wp-block-image. Therefore, you may have this code to adjust the left and right margin:

.wp-block-image {
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
}

Feel free to make adjustment as you need. To learn more about the margin CSS property, you can check this out:

Here are some related links for further reading, this could help you in finding and implementing some CSS fixes:

hey @ruenel

awesome! thanks a lot for your kind help
have a great day
cheers
isabella

Hi Isabella,

Glad we are able to help you.

Thanks

why on earth would anyone willingly switch from Cornerstone to Gutenberg? That is a huge step backwards.

But if you are truly bent on doing so for some strange reason, then why keep using X? The whole appeal of this theme IS the page builder. If you don’t want to use Cornerstone, just dump X and use the standard WP storefront theme or any of the millions of random (and often lighter) themes out there.

Hey @BEAUTYSHOTS,

Thanks for updating in!
Yes, you are correct. We totally agree.

Best Regards.

@BEAUTYSHOTS Thanks for your note. However I know many travel bloggers that ARE with Xtheme and NOT using Cornerstone for posts. When you have more than 300 posts it gets complicated with cornerstone.
Besides the ads company I am working with suggested not to, for technical reasons that I don’t have the capability to explain.

I hope it helps, but thank you for your concern and interest in my choices.

PS I was reluctant to let go of cornerstone, because I liked it but now I am loving Gutenberg, :wink:

Thanks for the explanation Isabela.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.