Menu top links that have sub links are not clickable on iPad (Safari)

Hello!

We have run into a strang behaviour on iPad. In Landscape mode when the desktop menu is shown, all menu items that have sub links are not clickable. In Portrait mode, when the collapsed hamburger menu is used, all works fine.

Can you please assist in solving this?

Best and thank you
Lutz

Hi Lutz,

Thank you for writing in, yes I can replicate this issue on my end. The problem here is the Inline Navigation automatically sets the Anchor as the “Sub Menu Trigger” that is why when you tap the top links it’s open the sub-menu and can’t navigate to there respective pages, on other navigation elements there is the Sub Menu Trigger option where you can choose if the trigger is the entire anchor or just the Sub Indicator (chevron icon). Unfortunately, the Inline Navigation element does not have this option.

I’ve added this as a feature request so it can be taken into consideration for future development.

Stay safe,
Cheers!

Hi Friech,
thanks for sorting this out. So what this effectively means is that the menu does not work on tablets/touch devices as soon as you have content on pages that have subpages? Wow… that is a bit crazy, don´t you think? Isn´t this a very common set-up?

Hi Lutz,

I want to make sure we’re talking about the same issue. Let me further explain. On touch devices, you should be able to tap the top level menu item. It will not navigate to that link, but instead reveal the submenu. You should definitely be able to navigate to any of the submenu items. It is true that you won’t be able to directly navigate to the top level item from touch navigation. This is because the touch interaction replaces the hover interaction.

As a UX best practice (especially considering touch devices), it’s usually better to reserve the top level menu item as just a toggle to reveal additional links. Take a look at Stripe for example, and how they handle clicking their top level items: https://stripe.com/

We have a feature request open to make the menu expand from the indicator, but this could lead to frustration if you accidentally tap the link instead of the icon. You could also have users who just click the link and never realize there’s additional content.

If this isn’t what you’re describing, it could be a different conflict. In that case, would you mind sharing a URL to your site so we can check this?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.