MEC Parsing Error

Hi,

I have received a Google Search Console error warning. Looking into the issue, it seems that there is a parsin error within MEC. The error occurs 12 times on my website, which matches the number of events visible in MEC at page load.

The error shows:

Parsing error: Missing ',' or '}'

It seems to be in the same piece of code for all the errors:

"url": "https://workshops.carolineingraham.com/events/2020-09-09-uk-feline-gateway-part-2/",
            "price": "£250",
            "priceCurrency": "£"
        },
        "performer": "",
        "description": "<div class="cs-content" id="cs-content"  ></div>",
        "image": "",
        "name": "UK Feline Gateway Part 2",

Google is highlighting the description line’s “cs-content” id=“cs-content” >", as being where the fault lies.

Does this make any sense to you?

Thanks,
Christopher

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your setup and I see you’ve an old version of MEC plugin. please ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/docs/version-compatibility. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/docs/product-updates for more details. To update any extension to the latest supported versions, please follow the steps here: ‘X’ Theme will not save any updates

After doing the updates, clear all caches including browser cache so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

If the issue persists then also try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Let us know how this goes!

Hi Nabeel,

I have installed the latest available version by deleting the old version and reinstalling MEC (automatic update was not happening). All caches were cleared and disabled. All non-Themeco plugins, except MEC were deactivated. Still the parsing error is flagged up and the fix cannot be validated in Google Search Console. It shows the same 12 parsing errors all in MEC.

Thanks,
Christopher

Hi Christopher,

Try the solution provided on the link below.

Google Search Console Errors While Using Modern Event Calendar

Remember to clear all your caching features.

Cheers!

Hi Friech,

I have disabled the schema markup as described in the link. Initial validation in Search Console has now been passed successfully. However, does this now mean that no event will be flagged as an event rich snippet?

Thanks,
Christopher

Hi Friech,

The issue is not resolved as I had thought. It has reappeared despite the schema mark-up being disabled. However, I think I know where the problem is, but do not know how to resolve it.

The error seems to be in this line of each MEC event:

"description": "<div class="cs-content" id="cs-content"  ></div>",

I reckon the problem is caused by the “<div class=” section. If I am correct, the parser is seeing each section as having 3 x ".

How can this be resolved?

Thanks,
Christopher

Hi Christopher,

The solution they provided is by disabling their snippet implementation, and by using 3rd party plugin for that snippet. And that’s because their snippet has indeed has an issue with description, and it can’t generate a text description. Removing <div class="cs-content" id="cs-content" ></div> will not fix it as it will be replaced by another code depending on what content is added.

For now, please deactivate its snippet feature, and we’ll further check this issue. But given that even the MEC author also recommends it then we’ll have to wait for updates from them for snippet fix.

Thanks!

Hi rad,

I have disabled the MEC snippet feature. Hopefully a fix will come along sometime soon.

Many thanks,
Christopher

Hey There,

We’re already in touch with the plugin author and as soon as an update is available we will inform you here. All the best!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.