MAJOR ISSUE: Site update a disaster

I installed the most recent version of X.

Old pages that were made with cornerstone (such as my homepage) are not able to be edited in cornerstone.

My headers and footers are a mess.

This is what my site looked like before the update: https://web.archive.org/web/20170618160521/http://studentloansherpa.com/

This is what it looks like now: studentloansherpa.com

Is there a way to revert to a prior version of x?

I contacted my host and am now using a backup file. The update has been effectively uninstalled.

Correction on the fix. I reverted back and in the wordpress dashboard it says that i have version 4.6.1 installed, but there is a message thanking me for updating and I still have all the same issues on the backend.

What about the update from 4.6.1 to the most recent version would cause:

  • previous cornerstone posts to no longer register as a cornerstone post
  • major header, footer, and sidebar issues
  • icons that i previously had setup in the header now no longer appear

Well whole lot of things can go wrong. You could give us more details.

  1. What were you updating? Just the X theme?
  2. Who’s your host?
  3. Are you using any of the caching, and minification plugins?
  4. Do you use Cloudflare?
  5. What other plugins are you using? Did you try to deactivate them all, and enabling one by one to see if there is any conflict?
  6. What php version do you have?
  1. I was just updating the X-Them, when I saw the issue, I updated cornerstone to see if that would fix it
  2. My host is 1and1
  3. I am using caching and magnification plugins
  4. I am using Cloudflare, but i did put it into development mode
  5. I am using a number of plugins, I can pull a full list if necessary. I did not try this approach as I was panicked due to the site formatting falling apart. I immediately reached out to my host to revert to a backup.
  6. php 5.6

If there is anything further you need to help diagnose, please let me know. I’m not very skilled on the technical end… I seem to know just enough to really make a mess of things.

Also, I’m looking at premium backup plugins so that I don’t run into this issue again. Do you have any suggestions as far as who will work best with X theme? Or should it not matter?

Thanks again.

Do you have some sort of staging/development area with your host?

Firstly, always make a backup before the update. You can use UpDraft plus plugin for that. It’s free and not that complicated at all.
Also i’d suggest that you try to update it on staging/dev area first. You can connect your X theme with two url, one for the live, and one for the staging/dev.

Clear all the cache before the update. Cloudflare in dev mode.
If you are experiencing issues after the update again, disable all caching and minification plugins first. (Btw which plugins are you using for that?)

If the issue is resolved, that just means that there is some conflict with those plugins, which means they would need to be configured properly.

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! Are you using CloudFlare or may have installed a caching plugin like WordFence, W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache? Please keep in mind that after doing every updates, always remember to clear all caches when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

@beornbjorn:
Thank you very much for chiming in!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.