Links not all working on hompage after latest X theme and Cornerstone updates

Hi there, I updated to the latest version of X theme and Cornerstone but now the links won’t all load from the homepage and others now for some reason. I’ve disabled the plugins (particularly the pdf embedder one which I thought it might be as the pages that won’t load have pdfs in them) to see if there was a clash but there doesn’t seem to be. I’ve cleared the cache on the website and cornerstone but the links still doesn’t load. The website is www.abridged.zone
I wonder if you can help?
best,
Greg

Hello Greg,

Thanks for writing in! I have checked some of your post and category links and do not have any issue opening it. See the secure note below.

The issue could be coming from the linked pages. Did you have any custom code or link in those pages? We would be happy to check those pages if you would allow us to log in to your site. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
– Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Hey Gregory,

It turns out that the 3rd party PDF Embedder Premium Secure plugin is causing the issue. When it is active, some links goes on an infinite loop and it does not load at all. You may need to contact the creators of this plugin for further assistance. Temporarily, you can deactivate the plugin so that some of your links will work and load in to the browser window.

Best Regards.

Hi Ruenel, thanks for getting back to me. I deactivated the pdf embedder plugin but the pages still won’t load I’m afraid. It says Internal server Error.
best,
Greg

Hi Greg,

If you have already deactivated the plugin, there might be some other plugin or the following points are the reason behind your issue. I would like to suggest troubleshooting the following common issue to help us to recognize the reason.

1. Theme Related Issue
  2. Theme Update related issue
  3. CSS/JS Customization
  4. Disabling Cache

If you discover that an issue is coming from a custom code or 3rd party plugin, kindly consult with a developer or contact the plugin author. Please note that we do not provide support for custom codes and 3rd party plugins.
If none of the above help, please provide login credentials for your site in a secure note to examine it further, including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

Hi Greg,

I have checked the pages and the Essential Grid code added to those pages and it seems that the problem is in that. I would suggest you check those specific items in the Essential Grid and make sure that are working fine.

Thanks

Hi Trisup, thanks for getting back to me. The Essential Grid plugin won’t let me open it to have a look at it. It sticks at ‘Please Wait’. I could delete it and reinstall it but I’m afraid I would lose all the grids I’ve created.
best,
Greg

Hi Greg,

I would suggest you please copy your live site to a staging server and try to reinstall the Essential Grid plugin into it.
And If everything goes fine in your staging please migrate the staging server to live. If that does not help, please share the credential of your staging server for further investigation.

Thanks

Hi Tristup, I tried to create a staging server but the plugin (presumably the Essential Grid one) is stopping it. I contacted my host, one.com, who said it was probably a plugin problem so I updated all the plugins but it still doesn’t allow me to set a staging server up. I tried deactivating the plugins again. The pages work without the Essential Grid plugin so I’m presuming it is the cause of the problems. I wonder if you can help with that? best, Greg

Hi Greg,

We can report the issue to the Essential Grid as it is a bundled plugin to our theme. But we need to investigate the issue and the cause behind it and that is why we required the staging server. I would request you try to create the staging after deactivating all the plugins and activate it in staging after it is created.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hi there, there’s a problem with creating a staging server so I contacted Essential Grid to see if they could tell me what’s up with the plugin. They tell me the problem is with Cornerstone. They tell me that Cornerstone when activated interferes with Essential Grid. I wonder if you can help? best, Greg

Hey Gregory,

I am another staff checking this thread. I tried to check your homepage links with Essential Grid activated and they are working perfectly. Did you able to fix the issue on your end? Please let us know.

Thank you.

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me. I’m afraid the only links that are working for me are the ones that don’t have Essential Grid on them. best, Greg

Hi again,
I’ve been doing some more investigation. I can’t even edit Essential Grid when Cornerstone is activated. There seems to be some conflict between them. I wonder if you can investigate? best, Greg

Hi again,
It seems I now can’t even open pages that have Essential Grid on it to edit them. I don’t want to have to change theme or grid (I’ve been really happy with them previously) so I’m hoping you can help. thanks, Greg

Greg,

pages with Essential Grid go on an infinite loop or PHP Timeout error. This is because in your Ess. Grid, you opted to display 100 items or with at least 70 rows.

This is too much for your server. We recommend that you edit each of your grids and display only up to at least 15 items or less with a maximum row of 4. This would help your server from getting choked or PHP timed out. You may need to contact your hosting provider for further assistance. You may ask them if they can advise you on something how to display 100 image items in your grid.

Best Regards.

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me. I’ve made some of the grids smaller and it works. The trouble is it is a magazine I create that usually has about 40 or so items in essential grids. The items aren’t images but are links to featured images on pages. Is it that I’m running out of space on my website or is that even as links the grids are too big? I’ve contacted my host but I’m just wondering as I have lots of disc space left. Is disc space the same as server space? I’m not very knowledgeable about these things. Thanks again for your help. best, Greg

Hello Greg,

Disk space or Server Disk space is the same. The issue could be the PHP time out or the server time out which I am not sure of. I would recommend that you consult your hosting provider and tell them about this:
1.) When your grid loads more than 50 items, it makes the page load infinitely until it displays an error
2.) If you only have a few number of items in the grid, the page loads find with no issue.

They should be able to diagnose what could be the issue.

Thanks.

Hi there, thanks for that. I’ve let them know. Just in case they can’t fix it, is there an alternative way of creating a similar grid with items that link to page featured images? Best, Greg

Hello Gregory,

With the use of Loopers, you can display several images in a grid and link them to each respective page or post. Please check this out:

Best Regards.