Leave a Comment link

Hi, on my site happySoulHungryMind.com the “Leave a Comment” link does not do anything. (The llink in the sidebar to a specific comment does work.)

Based on a previous topic-post I created a child theme and added the below code to the function.php file in the child theme. Thanks,

add_filter(‘x_entry_meta_comments_link’, ‘x_change_comment_link’);
function x_change_comment_link($link){
global $post;
include_once( ABSPATH . ‘wp-admin/includes/plugin.php’ );
if ( is_plugin_active( ‘tco-disqus-comments/tco-disqus-comments.php’ ) ) {
return get_permalink( $post->ID ) . ‘#comments’;
}
return $link;
}

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for writing in, I tested that feature and it works fine on my end. Please remove that custom function of yours. Two things why that does not work on your end, It’s either you have a customization on your child theme that affected that feature or you have a plugin conflict issue.

Try switching to parent X theme and see if that resolves the issue, if not, please do testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

I was having this problem with the parent (original) X theme. That is why I followed one of your archived posts which said install a child theme and add that code.

When you say you tested the feature - did you test it on my website? I am testing under Chrome and Microsoft. Did you test it under Chrome?

Your answer did not make sense. It cannot work for you and not work for me. We are both using the same code.

I have used a very limited set of plugins. I cant see them conflicting in link traversal.

Please provide me a real answer, that can solve the problem. Thank you.

Hi Ravi,

You’re referring to this feature right?

Yes, that feature is not working on your site. But it’s fine on my dev site (no custom code needed) yes I use Chrome.

So this means there is something on your site that is causing the issue, more likely (but not limited) it’s a custom code you have on your child theme or a plugin conflict. Hope that makes sense.

If the issue persists after doing my suggestions above, please provide us login credentials (wp-admin and FTP) in a secure note so we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

Hi Friech:

I am glad you see that the feature is not working on my site.

As, I mentioned previously, it was not working even when I did not have the child theme. I installed the child theme because one of your archived posts said install a child theme and put in this code.

I need a real answer, as opposed to sending me on a wild-goose chase. Can you please ask around. Thanks for your help.

Hi Ravi,

Sorry, If you feel that way, but my replies are real answer, please provide us login credentials (wp-admin and FTP) in a secure note so we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

Hello Ravi,

I have check your site, in your code, the output should be:

http://example/post-content#comments

And in your site, you have this link:

http://example/post-content#disqus_thread

Did you have other custom codes added in your child theme? To better assist you with your issue, kindly provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Best Regards.

Hi Friech, I apologize for my rudeness. I did some research, I find that the “Leave a Comment” or “Commen n” link has a #disqus_thread component at the end of the url. But on the page we do not have an anchor or object with that id. Is it some configuration with disqus that I need to do. Have I not set up disqus right or maybe I have not set disqus at all?

Perhaps I should uninstall disqus. Do you recommend disqus or is the wordpress comments sufficient?

Okay, so here is the real answer I found out. I had not configured disqus yet, which is why the “Leave a Comment” link was not working.

I configured disqus - now the “Leave a Comment” link in the meta-data works. But I now realize there is a mis-match between disqus and wordpress comments. The comment section in the sidebar is wordpress comments. It has now stopped working.

What are the best-practices when using comments. Should we use disqus or not. If you recommend disqus then how do I put disqus in the sidebar.

Also, disqus comment count is not updating in the meta-data area.

Hello Ravi,

Thanks for updating in!

Use only Disqus Comments if you want to use Disqus and manage your comments in Disqus dashboard. If you want to use the default WordPress comment system, you may do so. If you want to add Disqus in your sidebar, you will need 3rd party widget plugin or a custom code from Disqus because by default, the Recent Comments plugin does not support Disqus.

Please check out this links and thread for more information:

Thanks. I deactivated Disqus and it solved the links problem.

Independently, I also decided to use wpDiscuz for comments.

Thanks for your help.

You are most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.