Layout builder not showing editor while attempting to create/preview author index

Hi everyone, your theme is amazing, and I am a long time user of it.

(first time under this account).

However this is my first time attempting to create a custom Author index page for each author/editor in our website (as well as being part of the “team”).

In saying that when I attempt to edit the layout (with the cornerstone editor that the theme uses), I am greeted with an error when I attempt to force a preview of a specific author.

The error/notification is as follows:

And I can no longer see the “editing” pane of cornerstone.

In actual fact I have to make a temp category page just to edit the layout. However even then it doesn’t completely work even with the “Any Author” assignment to the layout.

Any assistance you can render would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @IPA_tech,

Thanks for reaching out.
It will be very difficult to recognize the reason behind it without investigating it through the Admin Dashboard. I would suggest you please provide login credentials for your site in a secure note to examine it further, including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password
– Specific Layout you are having this issue

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

Hi Tristup,

Thank you kindly for taking a look into this, please note i have since sent the login details for your reference in my reply above.

Hello @IPA_tech,

When I open your Author layout, I am seeing this:

Question: What are you trying to display in the Author archive? Be advised that the Author archive if you check it out here,

It will display post items related to the author. Are you trying to display something else instead? Please give further clarifications because at the moment, I am only seeing this:

The correct way should be that a Looper Consumer can be a row or column which will consume to display the post items and not any Author details.

Best Regards.

Hi Ruenel,

Thank you for getting back to me, in regards to the editor. Ok we are making some progress now, it shows my user or whoever is logged in by default.

However when you try any other “author” (other than yourself) from the preview pane on the bottom left then I get that popup shown in my initial post.

See my secure note for the user to use for preview purposes and sampling.

Hi @IPA_tech,

I have checked your website and found that the Post page is not assigned from Settings > Reading > Posts Page. I have checked by setting a test Blog Page but it didn’t resolve and shows the same error. I have tried the same in my local environment but unable to replicate it. I would suggest you do deactivate and delete the Pro and reinstall it by downloading from your Themeco Account once again.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hi tristup,

Thank you for this, I will do a backup and attempt to sort this out, just in case removing the theme I loose all settings and have to re-implement everything. At least i can restore from a backup.

I will keep you posted.

Upon deletion and clearing of Cloudflare cache and attempting to reinstall again. Sadly the issue still persists.

I have also since re-enabled the plugins too (only after the issue showed it was still there), apologies I didnt reply so I am re-posting with this reply.

Hey @IPA_tech,

I have replicated the issue on my test site so this might be a bug. I’m going to post this in our issue tracker so this case will be queued to be investigated by our development team. For now, you can’t use the Author Preview so you need to view the live author page. Or, you can fill the current user with info so you can see the output. That way, you won’t need the author preview.

Regarding the Dynamic Content, you need to use the author DC and NOT the user DC. And, you do not need the Looper Provider to get the Author details IF you’re displaying the details separate from the post listing.

Disable the Looper Provider and Looper Consumer in your Section then set up the Dynamic Content I’ve mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hi Christian,

Thank you kindly for looking into this, and I hope the issue can be resolved as the idea of this function with what your theme does, in overwriting default wordpress designs with whatever the user creates and defines, is a constant selling point for me and any client I use these themes on.

So getting this fixed would only greatly benefit you guys :slight_smile: (and of course myself in this case too ha ha, along with future purchasers).

In the mean time I will attempt what you suggest above and will get back to you. Worst comes to worst I will make static team member pages for now, at least until the Author editing and preview mode are fixed~

UPDATE: I have updated the content to grab the dynamic content from the Author rather than the User. So that is one thing corrected. but yes the issue still persists as you stated.

Additionally it seems that the author pages are not viewable to the public, if you visit the page in incognito mode you cannot see it and it just redirects to the home page. I checked and Yoast SEO is set to allow the archives so its not that. Could it be a Themeco Pro settings somewhere i am missing?

Hey @IPA_tech,

I deactivated all 3rd party plugins in your staging site and the author page is loaded correctly. That means 1 of the 3rd party plugins is doing the redirection or showing the home page. You need to investigate what that plugin is by activating 1 plugin at a time and checking if the issue goes back.

Thanks.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for checking I have since (carefully) re-enabled each plugin one by one, and the issue hasn’t returned. If I am to assume, i would say maybe it was the caching plugin at the time. And turning it off and on again has allowed the page to now be viewable on the front end.

However the Author editing issue when selecting an author to preview within Cornerstone/Pro is still a problem of course.

But that is something you already brought up that is to be investigated with your team.

I hope this can be rectified as this is a great and powerful system that when it works, compliments the rest of your amazing layout system.

You are most welcome, @IPA_tech. And thank you too for your understanding.

Hi Ruenel, thank you again, one more thing sorry.

Is there a way to change the author “Posts by…” prefix to be non-existent, or ti change it to something else?

Hello @IPA_tech,

The “Posts by” text is part of the breadcrumb element. You can change it by using the gettext filter to change text in WordPress. Here’s a sample code from this old thread:

With the revised code, it could look like this:

add_filter( 'gettext', 'change_texts', 20, 3 );

function change_texts( $translated_text, $text, $domain ) {

if ( is_author() ) {

switch ( $translated_text ) {

case 'Posts by ' :

$translated_text = __( 'Posts by new text here ', '__x__' );
                break;
        }

}

The code above serves as an example code. Feel free to modify it when needed. Please note that custom coding is beyond the scope of our support. You will have to maintain any custom coding to make sure that it will still work after any updates or does not create any issues or incompatibility in the future.

Be advised that this is beyond the scope of our support under our Support Policy. If you are unfamiliar with code and resolving potential conflicts, you may select our One service for further assistance.

Best Regards.

1 Like

Hi Ruenel,

Thank you kindly for the assistance I had look through the post and saw there was some missing lines of code to return the translation so i fixed that too.

add_filter( 'gettext', 'change_texts', 20, 3 );

function change_texts( $translated_text, $text, $domain ) {

if ( is_author() ) {

switch ( $translated_text ) {

case 'Posts by ' :

$translated_text = __( '', '__x__' );
                break;
        }

}

return $translated_text;
}

Would I do similar for the “author” quotations around the author. As I can see the breadcrumb element itself, or could I simply duplicate the folder structure into my child, but modify the breadcrumb element to not have the quotations and remove the prefix?

Or that simply wont work?

I ask because I can see the following code which inputs quotations around the author name (found in Pro > Framework > Legacy > Frontend > breadcrumbs file):

'label' => __( 'Posts by ', '__x__' ) . '“' . get_the_author() . '”',

Hey @IPA_tech,

Regretfully, we cannot provide further custom development assistance. What I’d recommend is that you try both and see what works.

In case you wish to receive custom development guidance from us, you might want to subscribe to our One Premium Support here: https://theme.co/one

Thank you for understanding.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.