Installing X when old version already exists

Hello,
Our site is currently running X theme v 1.8.5 with a parent theme (i.e. not child theme). V 1.8.5 is too old to update to the latest version through the normal process. I’ve purchased a new X theme and want to install it. I understand that there is no smooth upgrade path from 1.8.5 to the latest version, so I’ll have to configure the new X theme and add content as if it were a brand new site. That’s OK; it’s not a very big site.

I don’t have a staging/development environment now.

When I try to install the new theme, I get the message “Destination folder already exists…theme install failed”. Makes sense. Can you recommend a way to install the new theme and configure it with the live preview/customizer (if I have my terminology right) without having to set up a staging environment? Once i get going, I won’t need much time to configure the new site. just need to know how to get the new theme installed, I think.

Thank you for any guidance you might have.
Brett

Hey There,

Generally you won’t be able to configure the whole theme without activating it so either this will involved downtime or you will need to setup a staging environment as there is no way around customizing and setting certain settings without activating the theme first. If you still want to proceed with your route of doing this then the easiest solution to your issue would be to unzip the x.zip file… rename the x folder to x-new and rezip it. That way when installing the theme the folder will have a different slug.

Thank you Rubin. I created a staging environment and am running the new X theme on it now.

Hi There,

That is a wise decision, that way your current site live and at the same time you can work on the updates.

Let us know if you encounter any issues regarding the new X Theme.

Have a nice weekend,
Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.