HPES smart gear

The theme is somehow adding “alternative-homepage” to URLs that have my HPES home selected as parent. I had the website set up for years using a different theme prior to themeco. When installing and using themeco, I abandoned all the old webpages except the homepage. I worked with the old homepage in themeco until it worked in themeco. Perhaps this has something to do with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I did not exactly understand the problem, would you please kindly give us more detailed information on what is the problem and steps to recreate?

Also regarding the URL structure, it is not depending on the theme code. You can check that with other theme and see if the URL structure is there.

I suggest that you check this article to get familiar with the URL structure of the WordPress platform:

Thank you.

Let me explain better. I had a different theme before. I am no longer using that theme. But I took a homepage I created using that theme, stripped it down, and rebuilt it using themeco x. The new homepage works great: www.hunterprograms.com This new homepage is labeled HPES Home, and it is the parent to all new pages I have created since then.

But somehow the urls for the new pages that have HPES Home as their parent have “alternate-homepage” in their urls. For example, the parent, hunterprograms.com and the sibling page is http://hunterprograms.com/alternate-homepage/hpes-guidance/

But if I remove HPES Home as the parent for the new HPES siblings, alternate-homepage disappears from the urls. For example, http://hunterprograms.com/alternate-homepage/hpes-guidance/ then becomes http://hunterprograms.com/hpes-guidance/ The menus still work without alternate-homepage. But I think not having the parent/sibling relationship set up hurts with search engines, right?

This is not an issue with the theme but your URL or permalink setup. You should not add child pages to your home page because that is already the first bit in the URL. In your case, alternate-homepage is the same as hunterprograms.com so there is no point in making child pages of it as it is the main page of your site or the parent of everything in your site. If you add child pages to your home page, WordPress (not the theme) will add the parent slug to the URL like what you encountered.

Regarding SEO, no, it will not hurt your SEO. In fact, setting child pages to your home page will hurt as the page slug has no meaning alternate-homepage/hpes-guidance/. I can’t go deeper with regards to SEO as this is outside the world of themes. Please see this article for guidance. Or, it would be best you consult with a SEO agency.

Thanks.