How to turn off different thumbnail sizes

I noticed the theme creates several thumbnails sizes when you upload an image to the media library. Is there a way to turn those extra sizes off? I’ve customized my blog so much that I don’t make use of these images and it’s just filling up my file storage. Thanks.

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! By default, WordPress has 3 image sizes. That is the thumbnail, medium and large. In X, there is an additional image sizes which is the entry, entry-cropped, entry-fullwidth, entry-cropped-fullwidth. These sizes will only be generated if the image you have uploaded is beyond the maximum content width of your site. For example, if you upload an image with just 1024x1024 in dimension, only thumbnail and medium will be generated since by default the large size is 1024 pixels.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but is there a way to turn off the creation of the extra sizes? I only use Wordpress set sizes and have created a custom size of my own, I don’t need the other sizes.

Hi,

Yes, you can remove the sizes by adding the code below in your child theme’s functions.php file.


add_action('init', 'remove_extra_image_sizes');

function remove_extra_image_sizes() {
	remove_image_size('entry');
        remove_image_size('entry-cropped');
}

For more insformation kindly refer to the link below.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/remove_image_size

Hope that helps.