How to Reduce Extra Whitespace Between Sections?

I’m trying to use the new elements instead of the classic elements but it’s been an exercise in frustration so far. I’m seeing large margins/padding between sections even though I’ve set all the margins and padding for elements, columns, rows & sections to 0. I’ve even tried setting the top margin of the second section to a negative number. That used to work in Cornerstone with the old elements but it does not now.

Here’s an example of the problem:
http://lagunawoodsdemocrats.org/december-2017-holiday-party

The two sections both have borders so you can see where they start & end. With the borders the margins don’t look too bad but I don’t actually want borders because the two sections are part of the same content. Removing the borders leaves a large amount of whitespace between the bottom of the first section’s content and the top of the second section’s content. That visually disconnects the two sections and looks bad.

That extra whitespace is what I’m trying to remove but there doesn’t seem to be any easy way. Looking at the CSS I see a 1.5 em bottom margin on the first section along with 45 px of padding.

This is what I don’t understand. Why should there be so much whitespace? And why can it not be removed using the margin & padding controls for rows or sections? Again, using negative margins now does nothing.

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! By default, sections have padding and margins which is what you are having now. Borders were set in your section settings. You will have to edit the page and make sure that your padding, margin and border is set to zero or none.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I intentionally turned on borders to help visualize the top and the bottom of each of the two sections.I have now turned off the borders and you can clearly see the large amount of white space between the two sections—way more than I want. I would like the 2nd section to start immediately below the first.

All margins & padding on all elements, rows, columns and sections are now set to 0. It seems to me that with all these set to 0 there should not be such a large gap between the two sections. In any case, there should be a way to easily adjust the settings so that I can eliminate that large white area.

Is there any way to do this without writing custom CSS? I can do that if I have to but would then have to do it for virtually every page I create with Cornerstone. It doesn’t seem like this should be necessary. I didn’t have this problem with the old version of Cornerstone.

Hello There,

Custom css will just complicate things. You just make use the built in settings for the paddings and margins. I would recommend that you set at least 5px paddings and margins and saved your changes. You can just removed it afterwards. Sometimes you give it a value so that the defaults will be overwritten. You can always set it back to zero and see the changes.

If nothing is working, please give me some access so I can take a closer look and figure out why the built in padding and margins is not taking effect.

Please let us know how it goes.

I’ve been trying to make use of the built-in settings but with all margins and padding set to 0 I still get the large amount of white space.

I’ll try to leave a secure note with login info. It’s not clear how that works. I see the Secure Note option on my previous posts but I don’t see any Secure Note option for this post.

Hello There,

Thank you for providing the information. I have logged in and found out that you are using a stand alone Cornerstone plugin. I can confirmed that this is a bug in a standalone plugin. Our developers is already made aware of this.

Meanwhile, to temporarily resolve your issue, we can use an inline css in your section through the “customize” tab. Adding margin-top: 10px !important; margin-bottom: 0 !important; padding-bottom: 0px !important;.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this info! I can work around the problem with this snippet of CSS.

You’re welcome.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.