How long is about right for a homepage business explainer video?

We run a successful animation and design studio in the UK. So I lean on the side of including video content in most any website is a good thing. Though rather than build exactly what a client thinks they want, we like to ensure everyone plans a video and design strategy that suits business goals and customer profiles. It’s deifinitely worth the time before producing expensive content which may not acheive its goals.

With fleeting web audiences, I’d love to know what you think a typically good length video would be for a product/service websites homepage?..

  • 10 - 20 seconds
  • 30 - 40 seconds
  • 40 - 60 seconds
  • 60 - 90 seconds
  • 90 - 120 seconds
  • 125+ seconds

0 voters

Checked out your studio’s site! Impressive work! Absolutely adored the weatherhead shop video.

As for the poll - though I’m absolutely positive you are far more knowledgeable than I, I’ll echo the words anyway as this is fun to think about - it truly depends on the product & service being offered. For lower cost items built upon impulse purchases, 10-20 seconds is something that feeds into that psychology. But for high cost items there needs to be far more reassurance and trust built for conversion - thus longer video content.

Another thing that comes to mind other than pricing itself would be the ‘need’ or ‘regularity’ factor of the service or product. If it is something that is common, like a water bottle, but you are trying to get people convinced to buy yours, again I’d lean towards a shorter length. People aren’t going to need a long video as to why they need a water bottle, they just need to know why to pick yours versus plastic, etc. Where on the other hand if it is some unusual product, you will need more reassurance as to how the customer can properly fit that product into their lives / business / whatever.

Thanks for the fun thinking exercise =D.

I look forward to your team’s future work!
Derek

1 Like

Thanks Derek

Pleased to hear you like the Weatherhead. Also my current favourite project to date where we got to bring a broad range of production skills and ideas together.

Plus thanks for your reasoning behind the right sort of length video for the right product/target market. I’ve obviously thought about this loads over the years but it’s really (honestly) very refreshing to hear other peoples views as it’s easy to get a bit stagnant in the reasons for doing things.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.