Help getting started with Portfolio

I’m having a hard time getting started with portfolios and I’m hoping you can help me out. I have read every forum Q&A, but still can’t figure it out. I’m using Pro, and I like the Integrity 5 demo’s functionality.

1. I’d like to have a page called Paintings that will have a gallery of thumbnails showing each painting. Each thumbnail has 2 lines of text below (see screenshot) and less padding/white.

2. Click a thumbnail and it opens an attachment page (not post) with a title, description, full-size image, text underneath (see screenshot). Breadcrumbs at the top left, arrows at the top right so people can move to the next page without returning to the gallery view unless they want to.

Portfolio seems like the best option, but I’m open to other ideas. I basically need people to see my paintings and have the option to limit what they’re seeing by available, sold, and different subjects. And I want the URL for each page to be static.

Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

Hello @bethw789,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

After going through the ticket I think Portfolio will closely meet your requirement. I am sharing the Portfolio tutorial guide that you can take a look.

You can also take a look at Essential Grid plugin that can be installed from X/Pro > Validation > Extensions > Essential Grid . Please take a look at demo and documentation link:

https://www.themepunch.com/essgrid-doc/essential-grid-documentation/

Thanks.

The KB article is where I started (it doesn’t cover a lot of ground). Envira as included with Pro doesn’t have enough features for this.

The portfolio (Paintings) has 4 items.

1. The page title and sort option are missing (both are enabled).
  2. I have the theme options set to crop images, but they are not cropping.
  3. How do I add custom text to the thumbnails, make it responsive, and control the padding around the text?

For the attachment pages, the featured image takes over the page at more than 100%:

1. How do I put the title at the top of the page, description under it, then the image at 100%? (I’d be fine disabling the default huge image altogether and manually adding it in)
  2. How do I get the breadcrumbs and arrows to show at the top of the page?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hello There,

Thank you for posting in with a very detailed post information.

Portfolio Page
1.) The portfolio page title and the filter button is part of the landmark header which is located in the header. It will display by default and if you use a custom header, the default header including the landmark will be replaced.

2.) The portfolio page is displaying the featured images in fullwidth. It will not display the cropped image.

3.) You can’t because the portfolio page is display the featured image and the portfolio item titles only. If you want something custom, you may use 3rd party plugin such as Essential Grid or The Grid plugin in displaying your portfolio items. To know more about this plugins, you can check it out here: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/extension-essential-grid/68, https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/extension-the-grid/74

Portfolio Item page
1.) You just need to get rid of the featured image in the single portfolio items. To do that, please add the following CSS code in the X > Theme Options > Global CSS (http://prntscr.com/evui3r)

.single-x-portfolio .has-post-thumbnail .entry-featured {
    display: none;
}

2.) You will need to edit your custom header and add a row dedicated for your breadcrumb and the arrows. If you are not using custom header, you won’t have any problems.

I would recommend that you re assign your custom headers to a specific pages and post to make sure that it won’t create any issues in your portfolio page and portfolio item pages.

Hope this helps.

Thanks RueNel! This does help a lot. I didn’t realize Pro’s header builder didn’t work with the portfolio feature. I thought it was something I was missing. Portfolio is what I want, but not if I have to give up the custom header. So, I’ll explore The Grid and see if it can do something similar.

Thank you again - I really appreciate your time.

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.