Grid /Essential posts questions

Hi,

Is there a way to get The Grid to use different images to the featured image for the post? The featured image looks fine on the full page blog but isnt sized correctly to look good on The Grid’s masonary mode. It would be good to be able to use a different image for the particular posts in The Grid.

Is there also a way to switch off the current post from Essential posts element? Im using that at the bottom of a blog to pick up other posts the reader may be interested in, but I want to hide the current post they are already on so that the user isnt recommended to read the same post they’ve just read.

Hope that makes sense.

Hello @wbc,

Thanks for writing in! Regretfully you cannot change the image for The Grid plugin. It will always use the featured image.

Are you using the Essential Grid plugin to display related or more post? You cannot turn off the current post in the Essential Grid too. And if your are using Looper Provider to display the related post items, you might want to check this out:

If you haven’t used the Looper provider or do not know anything about it yet, then this feature might help you display related post items without using the Essential Grid plugin. You can check out this documentation first:

Best Regards.

Wow Thanks - I hadnt seen that before and its an amazing feature. That works so much better than the existing grid plugins. Two questions - is there a limit typically performance wise about how many items to include in the looper collections? The video includes 3 but could you include 10-20 for a full masonry grid (e.g. blog page)?

Also, on the dynamic text dialog, I am missing the database icon to view other dynamic fields which is in the video at 7:56. Has that moved somewhere?

Hello @wbc,

Performance wise, displaying 10-15 items is decent enough. The Looper Provider will display the number of post items which have been set in Settings > Reading > Blog pages show at most. With the Looper Provider, there is also a feature where you can increase this number so instead of displaying normally 10 post items, you can increase it to a desired number.

You are missing the database icon because the Dynamic Content option is disable. Simply click the Hamburger icon on the upper left panel of the builder, then click the “Preferences”.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

You’re welcome, @wbc.

A couple of extra questions on this.

1. How can I filter categories of a particular type dynamically. For instance on one pages, I only want the latest posts for a particular category to be shown.

2. Is there a simple way to include in the logic if the blog is the same page, then ignore it (i.e. dont show the article overview if youre already on that page

Thanks

Hey @wbc,

Regretfully, both of the features you described are not available in our theme nor in Essential Grid. You’ll probably need a 3rd party plugin for that or better yet have them custom built. Our Elite team can help you with that just in case you’re interested.

Thanks.

Hi Christian,

To be clear, its not the essential grid Im using, its the dynamic looper code to generate recent posts. Does that change anything?

Thanks

Hey @wbc,

I think this video tutorial might be able to help you with what you have in mind.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.