Google Analytics Extension Not Working

I am trying to add the Google Analytics extension… it installs, I go to activate it and then I am getting the following message when I try to activate:

"Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘[’ in /websites/so/soulcontent.com.au/wp-content/plugins/tco-google-analytics/tco-google-analytics.php on line 114"

I am using a child theme - not sure if that has anything to do with it.
I have deleted it and then re-installed it and continue to get the same error message when I try to activate it.

Is there another way I can add my tracking code to my website that works?

Hi There,

Thanks for writing in! Let’s try to isolate your issue.

  • If you’re unsure about your child theme’s custom codes that you have added, you can simply activate your parent theme and see if that resolves your issue. If you’re still getting any errors, your issue is not related to your child theme.

  • Check your PHP version: You can install a plugin like WP-Serverinfo and access it from your Dashboad (Dashboard -> WP Serverinfo) to check your PHP version and server configurations. WordPress recommends PHP v5.6.x or later to avoid any incompatibility issues.

  • Recently we have migrated our Extensions to Version 2.0 which has changed the folder name and re-branded each extension, so they need to be installed again on X/Pro -> Overview -> Extensions.
    When you activate the new version of the plugin, the data from the old one is converted to the new one, keeping the old data intact on wp-options.

Please check with your end and let us know how it goes.
Thanks!