Global blocks and wpml - wont copy existing language

Hi there

I am working with global blocks for all pages and installed wpml plugin.

when clicking on the “empty” not translated version I have the option of copy existing language.

But that is not working. Copy just creates a blank version and nothing is copied.

Thanks for the help
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

It seems that the specific global block does not have the translated version in said language. The option shows in the screenshot comes only when you create the Header.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hi @tristup

I don’t understand:

I only work with global blocks (and pro headers). All pages are an assembly of global blocks.

As I have understood it is necessary to open them, then click onto the empty language, in my case english version, then the above screenshot comes and there I push „copy existing“ Deutsch. But when I do so nothing is copied. It just opens an empty new block. So I would need to redo the whole layout for every box I‘d like to translate.

Would you be so kind and explain it maybe in different words?

Thanks
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

While creating a Header it will give the option to create it by copying any existing language version that it has. That means the specific header does not have any other versions in any other languages.

Thanks

Hi @tristup

I am still confused, I am not creating a header but a global block which should be multilingual. When opening a global block (not a header) I get a second language icon. When I click on it, it gives me the option on the screenshot above.

1. The screenshot is from global block not header
  2. How else would I create global blocks in different language than that?

Thanks
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Really sorry for the confusion, in order to make the Global Blocks translatable, you need to enable that from WPML > Settings. Please find the screenshot describing the option.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hi @tristup

That’s what I did already of course. I’ll try once more:

• I made the wpml settings already before I opened this thread
  1. Open global block

1. Click on the english language flag gets me to this screen

1. I click on copy existing and this gets me to an empty page, nothing copied

Do you understand now my problem?

thanks
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Please follow this ticket to translate the Global block.

Please share the username in a secure note. You shared the wp admin URL and the Password.

Thanks

Hi @prakash_s

I added the username

thank you

I’ll have to add: When doing it with a header for example, everything works. Just follow my little screenshot story above to see what my problem is ONLY in global blocks

Hi Andreas,

I suggest that you save the template of your German language then load the template in your English language switcher and then do English Translation.

First: Save the template of your German Language

Second: Load the Template you save from your German Language to the English Language

Once the template is loaded, you can now do the translation.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Hi @marc_a

Alright, so you agree, that there is a bug on your template when it comes to wpml and global blocks?

Is it on your todo list to solve the issue in a future release?

Thanks
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

The issue has been already reported to our issue tracker, and will be queued for fixing by our development team. Please stay tuned for the succeeding theme versions as the fix will be included in one of them.

Thnaks

I’d like to add my +1 to this thread. I found exactly the same thing today and couldn’t work out what on earth was going on when the ‘copy’ always started with a blank. Thank you @followme for flagging this up. I’ll look forward to a fix!

Geoff

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.