Fonts taking up 30% of page size

Hello, when scanning my site on GTMetrix, it shows that font awesome is taking up 30% of the mobile page size. How can I optimize that better? I’ve already switched to SVG fonts. )

Hey David,

There’s no detail or info in your post that shows that the Font Awesome SVG is the cause of that. To test that, please deactivate all third party plugins and switch to the parent theme so we can be sure there are no fonts loaded from other plugins and customizations.

Please then share the page URL where you’ve used Font Awesome icons so we can test it. You can share in a Secure Note for privacy. You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

By the way, even if you’ve switched to SVG, you still need to use icons and even fonts sparingly as they still add to the page load even if they are already optimized. There is no other SVG optimization available beyond that.

Thanks.

Hi Christian.

I’m adding my website to the secure note. I tested it using GT Metrix and is how I was able to see the font metrics. No difference between parent and child theme.

Hey David,

In Theme Options > Miscellaneous > Font Awesome and deactivate all Font Awesome fonts. Your setup should look like below.

If found that with that setup, there’d be now FA fonts loaded. If there is, it’ll come from third-party plugins.

Thank you, I made the change to only show the brands. This is still showing a large amount of size. See secure note

Is that what it should be?

Hey David,

Currently, you need to deactivate all the Font Awesome fonts for that FA woff font to be unloaded.

I’ll post this in our issue tracker so our development team will be made aware of this and they’ll see if this can be improved.

Thanks.

Can you send me the site login or let me know what you find with my secure note?