Ethos Top Banner Post Carousel Blank After Recent Update

Hello,

I recently updated X theme at audacitymagazine.com, and once again the top post carousel is blank. We want it to show the most recent posts. In the past, we had gotten assistance here to make necessary code changes to make this happen in the child theme, and to fix the blank carousel with success. It had worked well for quite awhile until this update.

My child theme _post-slider.php looks like this:

<?php

// =============================================================================
// VIEWS/ETHOS/_POST-SLIDER.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Outputs the post slider that appears at the top of the blog.
// =============================================================================

$is_blog    = is_home();
$is_archive = is_category() || is_tag();

if ( $is_blog || $is_archive ) :

if ( $is_blog ) {
    $info = array( 'blog', NULL, NULL, '_x_ethos_post_slider_blog_display' );
  } elseif ( $is_archive ) {
    $type = ( is_category() ) ? 'cat' : 'tag_id';
    $info = array( 'archive', $type, get_queried_object_id(), '_x_ethos_post_slider_archives_display' );
  }

$slider_enabled = x_get_option( 'x_ethos_post_slider_' . $info[0] . '_enable' ) == '1';
  $count          = x_get_option( 'x_ethos_post_slider_' . $info[0] . '_count' );
  $display        = x_get_option( 'x_ethos_post_slider_' . $info[0] . '_display' );

$blog_slider_is_enabled    = $slider_enabled && $is_blog;
  $archive_slider_is_enabled = $slider_enabled && $is_archive;
  $is_enabled                = $blog_slider_is_enabled || $archive_slider_is_enabled;

switch ( $display ) {
    case 'most-commented' :
      $args = array(
        'post_type'      => 'post',
        'posts_per_page' => $count,
        'orderby'        => 'comment_count',
        'order'          => 'DESC',
        $info[1]         => $info[2]
      );
      break;
    case 'random' :
      $args = array(
        'orderby'        => 'date',
        $info[1]         => $info[2]
      );
      break;
    case 'featured' :
      $args = array(
        'orderby'        => 'date',
        'meta_key'       => $info[3],
        'meta_value'     => 'on',
        'ignore_sticky_posts'	=> true
      );
      break;
  }

?>

<?php if ( $is_enabled ) : ?>

<?php $wp_query = new WP_Query( $args ); ?>

<?php if ( $wp_query->post_count > 0 ) : ?>

<div class="x-flexslider x-post-slider">
        <ul class="x-slides">

<?php if ( $wp_query->have_posts() ) : ?>
            <?php while ( $wp_query->have_posts() ) : $wp_query->the_post(); ?>

<li class="x-slide">
                <article <?php post_class( 'x-post-slider-entry' ); ?> style="<?php echo x_ethos_entry_cover_background_image_style(); ?>">
                  <a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>">
                    <div class="cover">
                      <div class="middle">
                        <span class="featured-meta"><?php echo x_ethos_post_categories(); ?> / <?php echo get_the_date( 'F j, Y' ); ?></span>
                        <h2 class="h-featured"><span><?php x_the_alternate_title(); ?></span></h2>
                        <span class="featured-view"><?php _e( 'View Post', '__x__' ); ?></span>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </a>
                </article>
              </li>

<?php endwhile; ?>
          <?php endif; ?>

<?php wp_reset_query(); ?>

</ul>
      </div>

<script>
        jQuery(window).load(function() {
          jQuery('.x-post-slider').flexslider({
            controlNav   : false,
            selector     : '.x-slides > li',
            prevText     : '<i class="x-icon-chevron-left" data-x-icon="&#xf053;"></i>',
            nextText     : '<i class="x-icon-chevron-right" data-x-icon="&#xf054;"></i>',
            animation    : 'fade',
            smoothHeight : true,
            slideshow    : true
          });
        });
      </script>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php endif; ?>

Could you please check out our site and let us know what might be the issue? It’s much appreciated!

Hi @djmnhistory,

Thanks for reaching out.

Ethos Post slider has been integrated with the flexslider of Jquery and it inserts the slider HTML code just after closing the header tag.
We found some differences in your website, another slider is found just inside the header tag and implemented with Slick,
whereas slick is a completely different toolkit in jQuery and nothing related to our theme and as it does not have the parent library files it shows the console error.
That might be the reason for the issue you are having with post slider.

Just for your information, that we can see the slider after refreshing the browser for few times.

Apart from the above one we also found that the order by options are also changed to date from rand in post-slider.php file of child theme.

I would suggest you remove the extra slider from the header, and remove the slick code and check the slider is working or not.
I would also suggest you troubleshoot the steps in our Common Issues article, especially the child theme related issues.

1. Theme related Issue

2. CSS/JS Customization

3. Child Theme

And if you found any issues related to custom codes, please consult with a developer to fix it.
Please remember that we don’t support any issues related to the custom codes and also to the modified Child Theme.

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply, but the area in your screenshot isn’t the concern. It’s the slider above the menu. I’m so sorry if I made an error in my description of the issue.

The area I’m talking about is the blank area, above the menu in this screenshot. It’s missing the carousel that showed the most recent posts. That is what the PHP code I posted above was for.

The post carousel below the menu has never had an issue, which I’m grateful for! So, please if you could give me any additional input on the blank banner area above the menu, I’d much appreciate it!

Hi @djmnhistory,

To better help you with your concern, please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Thank you.

Thanks! I’ll post the information in a secure note!

Hey @djmnhistory,

Thank you for providing the credentials. I checked your setup and you had outdated code in your child theme for the Post Carousel (x-child/framework/legacy/cranium/headers/views/ethos/_post-carousel.php) which was preventing your carousel to work.

I went ahead and updated your code in your child theme. Now the post carousel works as expected. Please clear your browser’s cache and check your site now.

Cheers!

Thank you so much, @nabeel :grin::+1:t3:

1 Like

We are delighted to assist you with this.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.