Essential Grid - videos freezing + Smooth Scroll issue [part 2]

This thread is the sequel to a thread I made a couple weeks ago which is now locked.

(1) I set up an Essential Grid with mp4 thumbnails that autoplay on mouse hover. The autoplay works at first, but when I scroll down the page and back up, the videos freeze and won’t autoplay on hover again until the page is refreshed. I have a similar hover mp4 grid set up on my homepage that uses the native Grid element in Cornerstone and it works perfectly, so I know this is a problem with Essential Grid.

@christian recommended some troubleshooting steps which I’ve finally had a chance to try. (My host informed me that staging sites aren’t offered under my current plan so I went the DIY route.) Here are my results:

(1.1) Testing For Theme Related Issue: I activated the default Twenty Twenty-Two theme, and the problem persists. I’m not sure what this proves because we already knew it was a problem with the Essential Grid extension and not the Pro theme itself.

(1.2) Testing For Plugin Conflict: I deactivated every single plugin (except for Essential Grid). The problem persists.

(1.3) Child Theme: I switched from the Pro - Child Theme to the Pro parent theme. The problem persists.

(1.4) Css/Js Customization: I removed all CSS from Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS, and all CSS/JS from Pro > Theme Options > CSS and JS. The problem persists.

Other notes: My caching plugin is disabled. I’ve cleared my cache in the WP backend and through my host several times. WordPress, themes and plugins are all up to date. I don’t use a CDN. And I added define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M'); to my wp-config.php file (the PHP memory_limit variable on my host’s end cannot be changed from the default of 768M).

Any other ideas of what I can try to unfreeze my videos?

(2) The Smooth Scroll extension works as intended on my homepage (which uses a Cornerstone Grid element), but on any page with an Essential Grid (e.g. my Videos page and Photography page), the scroll wheel seems to get stuck and won’t scroll further down the page. Manually clicking and drag the scroll bar works fine, it’s just the mouse wheel that seems to get stuck. When I disable Smooth Scroll, the problem disappears.

I asked if there was a way to disable Smooth Scroll on certain pages. @christian replied that it’s technically possible but not covered by this level of support.

Fair enough. I’m curious though, have you ever encountered this problem before @christian? Do Smooth Scroll and Essential Grid normally play together fine?

Hey @one_eyed_man,

Thanks for testing.

We need this if we report to our development team. You haven’t mentioned this in the previous thread that’s why I asked.

I could not replicate the issues in my site so please kindly export your Essential Grid and have it available for us to download (i.e. upload in Dropbox then share the download link) so we can import it to our test site so we could test it initially then post both issues in our internal tracker so that this will be queud to be reported to ThemePunch and also investigated by our development team.

For now, please use the Grid element or any other solution that works for you.

Thanks.

Ok, understood.

Interesting - I tested again, and while the freezing issue happens in both Chrome and Internet Explorer, it does not happen in Firefox. (As for the Smooth Scroll problem, you couldn’t replicate it because I deactivated the plugin so my site would function properly; I assumed you had already replicated it when you viewed my site a few weeks ago.)

Here’s a video of me testing the autoplay freezing issue in Chrome, IE and Firefox:

The first few seconds of the above video shows an additional problem. I set the custom links on my navbar dropdown menu to match the slugs on my Essential Grid filter buttons:
The idea is that when a user clicks on a dropdown link (e.g. Editing), the corresponding filter is activated on the Videos page. The links work (the correct URL is visible momentarily in the navbar, see 0:04 in the video), but when the Essential Grid loads on the page, it seems to refresh the URL and no filters activate. This essentially makes the dropdown options useless. Any idea how I can fix this?

At any rate, here is the Essential Grid export you requested. (I unfortunately need to use Essential Grid on my videos page because of its filter feature, otherwise I would use the native Grid element.)

Hey @one_eyed_man,

I’m not referring to your site. Issue replication is not the same as “seeing or experiencing” the issue. Issue replication is reproducing the issue on a test site, and I’ve mentioned that.

It would have been better if I specified that it actually was an answer to your question:

Since I could not replicate it (previously), there’s no problem with Essential Grid and the Smooth Scroll extension in my site.

But now that I’ve imported your grid on my site, I could replicate the issue. I’m going to forward this now to our development team to be further investigated. Please stay tuned. For now, please don’t use the Smooth Scroll extension.

Regarding the filter, it looks like Essential Grid Deep Linking will only work for 1 grid. I see you have 2 grids in your video page (1 for desktop and 1 for mobile). If you disable the Deep Linking option in the mobile grid, deep linking works.

In that case, I’ll post this issue in our tracker to be queued to be investigated by our development team and eventually be forwarded to the developers of the Essential Grid. This could take time so your patience will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, I see I misunderstood what you said re: issue replication, thank you for clarifying. Let me clarify something myself - I have immense respect for your team’s expertise and the quality of your support. (There’s a reason I’ve used X on all my sites since 2014.) I hope my matter-of-fact tone isn’t ever mistaken for a lack of gratitude, because I certainly appreciate your efforts.

Fascinating - when I disable Deep Linking on my mobile grid, my deep-linked menus start working again on both desktop and mobile. I would not have guessed that. Huge thanks for the tip.

Thank you for submitting this for investigation. Is there somewhere I can follow to look for updates on this and the Smooth Scroll issue (e.g. somewhere you guys post release notes for patches/new versions of Pro)?

Hey @one_eyed_man,

You’re welcome! To check our status updates, you can visit this link.

Thank you.

Hi @marc_a, I checked that link but I don’t see a list of bug fixes anywhere. Do you guys normally post your patch notes publicly? No worries if not, I can just experiment every few weeks to see if it’s fixed

Hey @one_eyed_man,

Yes, we usually post our patch notes in public! You check the link from time to time for the new updates.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.