Edit Categories in Main Sidebar

Hi, I have edited my categories for posts, so that my menu sidebar shows a cleaned up list of categories. But anything I don’t want to display in my main sidebar (such as a page I’m working on or a theme template that I’m keeping but not displaying) I give the category uncategorized or it automatically defaults to that uncategorized if I don’t.

However, in the theme’s main sidebar setup (widget) “uncategorized” shows up and I don’t want it to. How do I keep certain categories from showing up in the sidebar even though they are set as categories in the Post submenu?

Hi,

Thanks for writing in! Regretfully, at this time I am not entirely certain what it is you would like to accomplish based on the information given in your email. If you wouldn’t mind providing us with a little more clarification on what it is you’re wanting to do ( perhaps some screenshots), we’ll be happy to provide you with a response once we have a better understanding of the situation.

Hi @paul.r,

No problem, I can clarify. I can attach a screenshot of the categories in my main sidebar – I don’t want “uncategorized” to show up in the sidebar (it has pages in it that are just for admin use.) I know if I delete uncategorized as a category, it won’t show up in the main sidebar. But I want to keep it as a category but not one that shows up in my main sidebar.

Please advise.

Hi,

We can hide it using css.

You may add the code beow in X > Launch > Options >CSS


.widget_categories .cat-item-1 {
    display:none;
}

If that doesn’t help, kindly provide us your site url so we can take a closer look.

Thanks

“Uncategorized” is still showing in the main sidebar under the Categories section

Site url: http://newapologetic.wpengine.com

Thanks for your help, Paul.

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! @Paul’s code works out by hiding the “Uncategorized” from displaying. It is just hidden and yet still loaded on the page source. If you want totally remove it from the widget category, please check out this tutorial:

Hope this helps.

Hi @RueNel and @paul.r,

The code is working now; it wasn’t yesterday. Not sure the difference (unless a cashe issue). Thanks Paul for a good working code.

Glad to hear it, sounds like a cache issue.

Cheers