Does default content layout really to be set to "content left, sidebar right" or vice versa to be able to place one sidebar only?

I am building a static website where I´d like to place a sidebar at the right of the landing page showing the latest posts. All the other pages don´t contain any sidebar by now.
Hence I set the content layout to “fullwidth” by default. According your guideline under https://theme.co/docs/work-with-unlimited-sidebars I created a sidebar which I assigned to the home page and connected it with the widget (“latest posts”).

Next step taken for the desired page:

Page Settings => Page template => Layout: Content left, Sidebar right

This setting didn´t have any effect. :disappointed_relieved:

The answer from @ruenel under the topic Sidebar vs No Sidbar lead me to the working solution:

1. Setting the content layout by default to “content left, sidebar right”
2. Setting the page layout of every page which does not contain any sidebar to “fullwidth”

What is the technical reason that prevents the global content layout setting “fullwidth” to be combined with a the sidebar chosen by the page layout setting? :thinking:

Hello Andre,

Thank you for the very detailed post information. The global layout settings will be followed and cannot be overridden. This is why when you set globally that you want to have a fullwidth layout, even using the content left, sidebar right page template will still be displaying a fullwidth page. You must choose to have a sidebar layout in the global settings first and then you can select whether a fullwidth, sidebar-left, or sidebar-right layout on individual pages.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, Ruenel, it helps. :grinning:
Neverthelesse, I can´t help sending you short thought in return:
The global layout setting can´t be overridden, you write. Hence, I have to decide right from the beginning whether I would like to make use of a sidebar or not. All right.
But, I wonder if choosing the sidebar right layout by default and then change it to fullwidth at a single page does not it mean to override the global layout setting, too? :thinking:

Hi Andre,

There are two options one is global layout which can be set from Theme Options, whereas you can set the individual page layout from template options under the Page Attribute. The Global layout will apply to all the pages, posts, and custom post types whereas individual layout can only be set to that pages, where it is selected.
What you said, that the individual page layout overriding the global layout with the full-page for that specific page only.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.