Customize length of blog summary on Blogroll

Hi X-Support Team.

We have a site built with X two years ago, 2 installs, one for English and one for Japanese.

There are currently 2 main sites: the english version found at …/en/ and the Japanese version found at …/jp/

When I look at the Blogroll on the English site, the summary of the blog posts is fine - not too long, it looks good. http://www.evergreen-hakuba.com/en/category/blog/

However on the Japanese site, the blog post summary is really long and I have been asked to make it look shorter. On both sites the blogroll is set to “summary” in the reading settings, so I guess it is something to do with the Japanese characters? http://www.evergreen-hakuba.com/jp/category/blog/

Thanks in advance - Jade

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! I can see that you have two separate installations. It is best the you adjust the excerpt length for your Japanese version site installation in the theme options. Please go to X > launch > blog > Excerpt length.

Hope this helps. Kindly let us know.

Hi there,

Thanks for the response.

I can’t find the option you mentioned.

If I go to X > Launch I get the Options / Templates / Content screen.

The only way I see to edit Blog is through the Options > Blog menu. but excerpt length isn’t an option.

Could you please give some more details?

Sorry for the confusion. There’s currently a bug in our blog options in X > Launch > Options > Blog. For now, please go to Appearance > Customize > Blog and ensure Full Post Content on Index is off then you can set the Excerpt Length.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for this, that works great. Strange that I didn’t see this option yesterday.

What does the number refer to? Is it number of lines? I assumed it would be characters, but I am getting around 6 lines with this set at 10.

Thanks - Jade

It is word count or word-boundary (see https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/the_excerpt/). Something in your setup might be affecting the excerpt length. The Excerpt Length setting properly works in my test site.

Please try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

If you also have custom functions that filters the excerpt length, please remove it.

Thanks.