Custom Permalinks plugin conflict with updated Cornerstone

Hello,

I have been using the Custom Permalinks plugin and when Cornerstone updated, there was a compatibility issue. Cornerstone would not load and I got a message on screen saying there was a conflict on the front end preventing it from loading. I narrowed it down to that plugin. I haven’t been able to find another plugin that allows us to do the same thing. The WP permalinks option doesn’t allow the same level of customization that’s needed, and I’ve tried another plugin called Permalinks Customizer, but had the same conflict. I’m also not jazzed about running an outdated version of Cornerstone. Is there any recommendation that you can offer? Or any chance there is a solution that would circumvent or fix the compatibility issue?

Thank you!

Hi There,

Yes, there’s a known compatibility issue with this plugin. Try going to X > Cornerstone > Custom Path:
Add the same path you give to Custom Permalinks plugin.

Thank you Lely,

However, I’m not seeing that option. I have Cornerstone as it’s own menu item in the Dashboard (and don’t see a place to do that in there), and X, which goes into the addons page (I don’t see a place to do that in there either). Also, I’m not sure what path I would add in there? I haven’t give that plugin any particular path, I only installed it and it did it’s thing.

Hey There,
​
​To assist you better with this issue, would you mind providing us the url of your site with login credentials so we can take a closer look? This is to ensure that we can provide you with a tailored answer to your situation. Once you have provided us with your URL, we will be happy to assist you with everything.

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password
​
Thank you.

Hi RueNel,

Unfortunately I can’t give you access. There are security features which block out all but a handful of specific ip addresses. Is there any way we could walk through with screen shots? I’d like to share a shot of my dashboard and what I see in the X menu. Cornerstone is not updated fully yet, for reasons stated previously, but X is updated. When I go into Cornerstone menu, there is no place to add the suggested edits by Lely.

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! Please deactivate Cornerstone. Once deactivated, delete it completely. After it has been deleted, please go to X > Overview. The latest version of Cornerstone will be installed automatically. Please go back to plugins section and activate Cornerstone. Test it again.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

What am I entering into “custom path” though, assuming it will show up now? I’m not clear on what Lely meant by giving it the same path that I gave to the plug-in. I didn’t give a path to the plug-in, that I’m aware of.

Thank you!

Hey There,
​
​To assist you better with this issue, would you mind providing us the url of your site with login credentials so we can take a closer look? This is to ensure that we can provide you with a tailored answer to your situation. Once you have provided us with your URL, we will be happy to assist you with everything.

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password
​
Thank you.

Hello,

I’ve already explained that I can’t give you access. If you could please help me by answering the last question I posted, that would be great.

Thanks!

Hi There,

Thanks for updating in! When you just let the default path which is just x should have work without issues. If you want to add a custom path, it should have worked too. And if still it doesn’t work, I’m guessing that your WP installation, is set to use pretty permalinks. You may try to go to Settings > Permalinks and set it to “Post Name”. X and Pro needs the permalink settings so that you can see the X/Pro Panel and most important, the Cornerstone editor.

Hope this helps.

I’m experience the same issue where my Custom Permalinks plugin is conflicting with the Cornerstone editor. I tried changing the general permalink structure as @RueNel suggested, but I still get the error when trying to load a Cornerstone built page.

Could we get some clarification about @Lely’s suggestion to alter the custom path of the Cornerstone interface? I can see where to change it from “x”, but as PoscoCreative said, I don’t know what the url needs to change to in order to bypass the permalink issue between Cornerstone and the Custom Permalinks plugin.

Thanks!

Hey There,

The permalink setting is all set. That should work by now. In your screenshot, I can see that you are on a staging area. Please ensure that the site url and wordpress url is exactly the same as the url of the dashboard. Please take my screenshot as an example:

Some staging servers will have different urls and this would create an issue which will not launch Cornerstone.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

My staging environment isn’t the problem, as the URLs are both set to the staging URL, so if it works on staging, I can push directly to the live production.

Thanks for chiming in @vendinimarketing. I am also using wpengine. Hopefully we’ll get this resolved!

Not sure if this helps at all, but here’s an example of the URL structures I’m looking at. If I want to edit my “Careers” page, the site URL is https://vendini.staging.wpengine.com/company/careers and I had used the Custom Permalink plugin to edit the URL to read that way (the page was originally created with a slightly different permalink)

When I launch the Cornerstone editor for that page, the Cornerstone URL is …/x/#/content/557/ and I get the conflict error. Is there a URL structure I can set Cornerstone to based on @Lely’s recommendation that would work here?

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! Since we do no have any access to your site, we cannot investigate it. All we can do is hit and miss kind of way hoping it maybe resolve. The Cornerstone’s custom path won’t matter. X/Pro theme would run without issues by just using the default x path having a permalink of …/x/#/content/{123}/. You can try and add anything and it should still work in a normal WP installation. In your case, this is different because there could be some factors that created the issue throwing a conflict error on the page. It could be by a custom JS error, a file could be corrupted or an error 403 or 500.

Please do the following:
1.) To make sure that no files were corrupted, please re install Cornerstone. Please go to the plugins section and deactivate Cornerstone. Hit the delete button to totally remove Cornerstone. After doing that, please go to X > Overview so that Cornerstone will get re installed automatically.

2.) To find out if there are JS error while you are editing in Cornerstone which may have resulting to getting a conflict error, please use your browser dev tools. If you are using Chrome, you should be able to see any JS errors in the console if there are any. To know more about Chrome Dev Tools, please check this out: https://developer.chrome.com/devtools

3.) For any 403/500 errors, you may find this in the console (if there is an error):
https://vendini.staging.wpengine.com/cornerstone-endpoint 403 Forbidden Error
https://vendini.staging.wpengine.com/cornerstone-endpoint 500 Fatal Error

It means that the request returns 403 Forbidden or otherwise, and it’s mostly related to security. Please contact your hosting provider and see if they can disable the security or exclude that URL and all requests (all payload related to that URL ) from your security rules.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi!

I’m concerned that by doing this, it will create the same problem that I"m trying to correct/avoid.

I’m using the Custom Permalinks plugin so I can control all of the permalink names, and have done that on each page of a 200+ page site. I need to be able to use this plugin WITH the updated version of Cornerstone. Lely had suggested that I go to Cornerstone and change the path. I replied that I don’t know where/how to do that, as the screenshot she used does not match what I’m seeing on my installation, and also, even if I did know where to put that information, I don’t know what information she’s asking me to add in there. I don’t a custom path assigned to Custom Permalinks plugin.

I can’t give you access to the account bc of the security on the site. I need to get this resolved and your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello There,

Since we do not have any access, we will just try to guess and do a hit and miss solutions then. You can find the custom path mention by Lely in X > Cornerstone and find the custom path field.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.