Critical error caused by Cornerstone

My Web site is not displaying. Instead it’s showing a critical error message. Preliminary investigations have shown that the critical error is being caused by the Cornerstone plugin. I can’t even log into wordpress to do any updates. Please help.

Hi @jeanthemex,

Thanks for reaching out.

I suggest that you disable the cornerstone plugin by going to your file manager or FTP and locate this folder wp-content/plugins and rename the cornerstone folder to disable it. Once you are able to do that, you can now login to your wp admin dashboard, after that please update your X theme to 8.0.8 and Cornerstone 5.0.8.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Thank you! That kinda worked. The page looks ok but some areas have not been restored. I see this error message:
Warning : Unable to load content from post. in /home/zoukdanc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/elements/class-element-front-end.php on line 95

and also:

Notice: Undefined variable: _view_data in /home/zoukdanc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/views/elements/alert.php on line 39

Hello @jeanthemex,

It seems that you are using X theme of version 6.5.2 and cornerstone 5.0.9 since your X theme is not updated to latest version because of that you are getting version compatibility issue and notice on the frontend.

As @marc_a has suggested you, you need to update your theme and cornerstone plugin as per our version compatibility page.

Please take the backup of your files and database before you perform theme and plugin update task.

Hope it helps
Thanks

Thank you! That helped. The Web site is mostly recovered, except for a line on the home page:
Warning : Unable to load content from post. in /home/zoukdanc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/elements/class-element-front-end.php on line 95

Also, when I try to edit with Cornerstone, I see mostly HTML codes now.

Is this because I’m using classic features? I’m not sure how to fix this.

Thank you!

Hello @jeanthemex,

For the cornerstone notice, It might be the issue of WordPress version compatibility. I would suggest you update the WordPress version to the latest version.

For the HTML markup, it might be the issue of plugin conflict or custom code customization like JS customization. I would recommend you to check following troubleshooting guide.

1. Testing For Plugin Conflict
  2. Child Theme
  3. Css/Js Customization
  4. Disabling Cache
  5. Disabling Cdn
  6. Permalink settings

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copying your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
    *FTP details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Thanks! I’ll provide the login credentials in the secure note. Seems like the CS tags are not quite right.

The beta site is also now having issues since I updated wordpress.

Hello @jeanthemex

Thanks for sharing your credentials. I went ahead and checked your staging site dashboard, it seems that it is working fine. If the issue still exists please share the exact page URL.

Thanks

Hello! Thanks for checking. I’ve included the issues in the secure note.

Hello @jeanthemex,

For your staging site, The shortcode is not outputting the content because of the required plugin( Improved Include Page) for the shortcode is not activated. Please activate the plugin called Improved Include Page

Screenshot after plugin activated

I would suggest you update the theme and plugin of your staging server if the notice error still come at your staging server that is coming on your live site “About” page please let us know.

Or

You can send us your live site credentials and FTP details in the secure note so that we can investigate your settings.

Thanks

Thanks! I tried that but the include page is not working in both the staging and live site. I’ll include the credentials in the live site in the secure note.

Thanks for your help!

Hello @jeanthemex,

Thanks for sharing the credentials. I checked your main site, It seems that you have installed two Cornerstone plugin please delete one plugin. I would suggest you upgrade your PHP version as well.

If it doesn’t work, please provide your FTP details in the secure note.

Thanks

Hello! I’ve deleted one of the Cornerstone plugins. However the problem is still there on the live site. When I try to edit with Cornerstone, I see lots of html code, instead of the content.

Hello @jeanthemex,

I can confirm that the Improved Include Page plugin causes the issue in Cornerstone. Please be advised that this is a 3rd party plugin that we do not support. You may need to contact the creators of this plugin so that they will be aware and might have a way to make their plugin be supported with Cornerstone. The best recommendation that we can give is to temporarily deactivate the Improved Include Page plugin while you are editing the page in Cornerstone.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks for that. Is there another plugin you would recommend, or is there another way to include a section in Cornerstone?

Hello @jeanthemex,

Regretfully we do not have any other plugin to recommend. As of the moment, you can only display an except of the page in your section by utilizing the Text Element and the Dynamic Content feature. Please check out more about this dynamic content feature here:

Be advised that only the excerpt can be displayed and not the whole content of the post or page.

Best Regards.

Thanks for that. I’ll look into using the Dynamic Content feature.

Now I have a bigger issue. I can’t edit the content using Cornerstone. I can only see HTML code.

Hey @jeanthemex,

Are you seeing something like this:

That means the content has been edited outside of Cornerstone whether by a user or a 3rd party plugin. If you don’t see the Edit with Cornerstone/Pro button, please try reloading the page.

If that is not what you’re experiencing, please open a separate thread for this first so we avoid confusion. Provide a screenshot in the new post. Just also post the URL of this thread in the new post for reference.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.