Cornerstone won't open... again

I pushed the live site to our staging environment. The user/pass is the same for you. I’m putting the login URL into a secure note…

Hey @gmcniel,

I opened your home page in Cornerstone and it’s working. That is with all third-party plugins deactivated though. Please activate the plugins one by one while checking if the issue will persist each time. This way, you’ll discover what plugin is causing the issue.

You need to deactivate the plugin if you need to use Cornerstone or contact the plugin developer to make their plugin work with Cornerstone.

Thanks.

Okay confirmed on my end too. The page I was trying to edit opens now.

What are the most likely TYPES of plugins that would cause a conflict? This will help me narrow things down a bit.

The thought of enabling them one by one and trying to launch Cornerstone in between each feels like a lot of time.

Strangely, after going through one at a time and reenabling the plugins, Cornerstone continued to work. Weird. I’ll try to disable all plugins in the Live environment and reenable them and see if that solves it.

Gah! Cornerstone isn’t working in the Live environment after disabling ALL plugins - reenabling Cornerstone only - and trying to Edit a Cornerstone page. Sigh…

What now?

Do you have any custom javascript on that page or in the theme options for the entire site? If you do, try removing them and try loading the page.

I had something similar with a function that wasn’t properly handling errors.

I’ve also had issue with a few sites with outdated PHP versions. You should be using at least PHP 7.2, 5.6 has been unsupported for quite a while.

If all else fails, delete and reinstall cornerstone, sometimes updates can go funny and leave old files that cause errors.

Thanks for chiming in and giving some ideas, @Rponto.

@gmcniel, I checked your live site and confirmed what you said. The server setup in your live and seems different than in staging. It looks like your staging site doesn’t have caching that’s why Cornerstone worked there.

In your live site, the message in the console says there’s an invalid user and that nonce verification failed. That commonly steps from caching and sometimes has to do with WordPress security setup. Please contact your web host to try this solution and also this.

Only if none of the suggestions help, please give us FTP access also.

Thanks.

I thought it might be a caching thing… We’re on WP Engine, those guys are WP wizards. Thanks for those solution links, we’ll give those a try and I’ll get back to you.

Let us know how it goes,

Cheers!

No luck with those proposed fixes.

WP Engine support says:

“I do apologize but I can not disable caching on my end. If you can please reach out to the developers of the plugin to see if there is any cookie exclusions that can be implemented or cache path exclusions. But we can not turn off caching for the site I do apologize.”

We did go about excluding that path: ^/x/?

Hey @gmcniel,

In that case, please ask WP Engine if they could exclude not only the x directory but also everything that comes after it.

When I checked again though, at first, I see Cornerstone is still not working but after reinstalling Cornerstone and clearing all caches and resetting file permissions in WP Engine options, Cornerstone worked again.

I’m not sure though maybe WP Engine is working now and they resolved the issue.

Hope that helps.

The regular expression WP Engine used should take care of everything that comes after the x directory. ^/x/?

Yeah, Cornerstone inexplicably broke again in the Staging environment. I edited one page. Then went to edit another and it got stuck again.

Thanks for getting it working in Staging. Would you be so kind as to do the same thing on the Live site please? I don’t know how to reinstall Cornerstone without completely removing X Theme and am afraid I’ll blow something up.

The live site is: https://optimizeyourself.me/
Your login is the same.

WP Engine updated the cache exclusion to ^/x/(.+)/?

So it should be solid now.

Hello @gmcniel,

I’ve checked your website and I can still see this error in the browser console:
Rejecting AJAX promise {invalid_user: true, message: "nonce verification failed."}

This is always related to security restrictions carried out by your hosting provider, please report this issue to your web host. They should be able to give some insight and resolution to this error.

Kindly let us know how it goes.

Okay, I’ll send them a link to your post. Hopefully, that error will make more sense to them than it does to me. :wink:

Feel free to let us know how it goes, @gmcniel.

WP Engine helped me get this resolved. I wish I could remember what the exact fix was. I was going to refer to the chat transcript, but I didn’t get one automatically this time. There was a line in our functions.php that messed with permalinks in a way that didn’t enforce the trailing slash. Then another bit of code in .htaccess to enforce trailing slash which was clearly added later as a fix for that. Anyways, it was weird and unique to our setup.

Glad to hear it’s sorted @gmcniel and thanks for letting us know.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.