Cornerstone Update from 6.1.4 to 7.0.3. crashes website!

Hi, when i update Cornerstone from 6.1.4 to 7.0.3. it crashes the website. I tried man times. And checked your forum but could find the problem.
There is also an update available for X version 9.1.4 to 10.0.3. . But when i update X first before Cornerstone then there are problems with wrong fonts showing.
I have put it on a staging site for you to please check, see secure note …

Wordpress Version 6.1.1
PHP 8.0.27

Kindly advise how to fix it.!?

Thank you!
Warm regards
Maren

1 Like

Hello Maren,

Thanks for writing in! There is an error 500 when you update the X theme and Cornerstone plugin. Please provide us FTP details so we can revert it back and continue to troubleshoot the cause of your issue. In the meantime, please increase your PHP Max Upload Size and Post Max Size.

Best Regards.

Hi, thanks for your kind support.
FYI, when i updated it it didn’t gave me an error 500.
However i provided u at secure note with the FTP details and have now increased PHP Max Upload Size to 16MB and Post Max Size to 16MB at my hosting.
Hope you can find what the problem is.
Thank you.
Warm Regards
Maren

Hi Maren,

The website still gives the 500 i.e. Internal Server Error and is unable to reach the WordPress admin dashboard to investigate it further. It might be due to the update of Cornerstone without updating the X first. I would suggest you update the X by following the below steps.

1. Delete the existing Cornerstone. If you are not able to access the Plugin list from the WordPress admin dashboard, please delete it through the FTP/CPanel from wp-content/plugins.
  2. Update the X theme to the latest version on automatic updates or manually.
  3. After the X theme is updated, use the link in the dashboard to automatically install the Cornerstone. It will be the latest version.

Please remember that, Cornerstone version 7.0.3 is comaptible to the latest version of X i.e. 10.0.3.

Thanks

Hi tristup, thanks but the site gives 500 since the support worked on it.
Your collegue ruenel asked to give ftp details to revert it back (pls see his post above). So i gave it.
So i guessed u fix it back and continue to troubleshoot the cause of the issue?
However i deleted Cornerstone as u said via ftp. But site is still not coming back.
As i said in my first post, the site crashes when i tried to update Cornerstone (pls see my first post) even if i update X first.
Please help!
Thank you!
Maren

Hey Maren,

I have logged in to the FTP and try fix the issue. It seems that the FTP details is not for the correct directory because I already renamed the X folder and it has no effect on the staging site.

Please double check.

Hi ruenel, thanks for your reply and support.
Actually it was the right directory. But i don’t know what went wrong, so i set up a new staging with a fresh url & backup. There is no 500 Error right now. Site is working.
I attach all login details at secure note for you.
Please try again to fix the update problem for Cornerstone from 6.1.4 to 7.0.3. and X version 9.1.4 to 10.0.3. (pls see my first post).
Thank you so much!
Maren

Hey @mtwice2,

I check your staging website and fount out error when updating the X and Cornerstone to the latest version.

The issue has something to do with the Essential Grid because when I tried to deactivate the Essential Grid in your staging area with the latest version of X and Cornerstone, it is working properly.

That being said, I suggest to reach out to your hosting provider to check about the issue regarding maximum execution time.

Note: I tried to replicate the issue on my local environment with the latest version of X, Cornerstone and Essential Gird but the issue didn’t persist.

Hope that helps.

Hi marc_a, thanks for your kind support.

I increased maximum execution time to max, but it did not help.

Since it seems that Essential Grid creates the issue, it actually should not be as it comes with xtheme so it should be compatible!?
I tried to delete EG and reinstalled but still same issue.
80% of the pages on the website using Essential Grid, so without the plugin the sites make no sense!

But even if i deactivate EG, the cornerstone and theme updates results into that it shows wrong fonts now.

So kindly advise how to fix the update issue.

Thank you very much
Maren

Hello Maren,

In your Cornerstone > Globals > Options > Typography, set the Fonts for the Body and Content and your Headings.

And as for the Essential Grid, I could not replicate the issue if I enable the Essential Grid in my local install with X theme 10.0.5 and Cornerstone 7.0.5 version. This is my server settings:

And this is your server PHP settings:

Can you please increase your PHP memory limit to 256MB and also the PHP Upload Max Filesize and PHP Post Max size? You can check this in Tools > Site Health > Info > Server.

Hope this helps.

Thank you ruenel, unfortunately it helps me not much.
To set up the fonts back is clear even if i don’t understand why the updates mess them up in the first place.
But the bigger problem is still Essential Grid and why it is not working with the latest update of xtheme and cornerstone?
I tried to increase upload_max_filesize but my provider gives only 16mb and PHP memory limit only 128mb.
If you have any further ideas how to fix it please let me know.
Thanks a lot
Maren

Hello Maren,

Can you at least increase the PHP Maximum Time out to 300? By the way, I have checked those pages like the Blog and Contact page. Those pages does not have a grid on it which means that there is something in your grid that is causing the issue. If I may ask, how many items are you trying to display in the grid? Loading several items might be the cause of the issue. I would recommend that you edit your grid and only load less than 15 items to prevent any PHP time out.

Kindly let us know how it goes.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.