Cornerstone UI fonts are thinner and less sharp in Firefox

In Firefox the fonts in the builder UI are displayed thinner and less sharp compared to Chromium browsers. It looks off and is less readable.

@JvP, I have tested this on my Mac and a Windows machine across both Firefox and Chromium browsers and I am not noticing a noticeable difference in the rendering of fonts at this time.

Ok, it may be subtle.

I’ve put two screenshots side by side, which should make it a little more clear.

You should be able to see that the fonts in Firefox are thinner and slightly harder to read.

Some of these things just come down to browser differences. We’re not doing anything that should create an issue in this regard, but across different operating systems and browsers sometimes these things come out differently. We’ll keep an eye on it but I’m not sure this is something in our camp at this time. Thanks!

Hey @kory, did you change the fonts in beta 4? They look different now.

@JvP,

Yes, I reduced the font stack to be more simple and ensure that fonts in the stack were more commonly expected by users and had all of the appropriate weights we use. We utilize 500 weights sometimes in parts of the tool, so that means not all font-family declarations will work.

If you’re on a Mac, we default to system fonts to be as neutral as possible. Otherwise, we fall back to “Roboto,” which is usually cached / found on most people’s devices since it’s so heavily used by Google, and beyond that it’s “Helvetica Neue” and then a generic sans-serif declaration.

Thanks!

1 Like