Cornerstone Standalone Plugin Issues - New or duplicated elements do not appear in builder

Cornerstone 6.1.4 installed.

I believe it was after v6 was installed we started experiencing issues with the Cornerstone builder where new elements don’t render on the screen in the editor, duplicating elements doesn’t immediately show, and other UI glitches prevent the builder from being usable at all. It requires a Save and Refresh of the browser in order for the new or duplicated element to show up.

When attempting to create a new element or duplicating an element, the Dev Console shows this error:

Failed render SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data
s /wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/assets/js/app.6f62d0f.js:2
_e /wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/assets/js/app.6f62d0f.js:2

Here are the things I’ve done to troubleshoot on our Staging Site:

• Disabled all plug-ins except for Cornerstone and WooCommerce. WooCommerce is required to load the builder screen due to shortcodes used.
  • Cleared all custom CSS. There is no custom JS.
  • Removed all tracking scripts temporarily.
  • Turned on Twenty Twenty-one theme.
  • Cleared website server and local cache several times.

I’m happy to share login credentials to the staging site if needed.

Hello @instyletech,

Thanks for writing to us.

It might be the issue of version compatibility issue. Please make sure your theme, plugin, WordPress core, and the PHP(7.4) version is updated as per our version compatibility page.

You must update the PHP version to 7.4 or 7.4 +. It is also recommended by WordPress as well please have a look at this article.

I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing For Theme Related Issue
  2. Testing For Plugin Conflict
  3. Theme Update
  4. Child Theme
  5. Css/Js Customization
  6. Increasing Php Memory Limit
  7. Disabling Cache
  8. Disabling Cdn
  9. Permalinks
  10. Version Compatibility

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copy your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Hi @prakash_s, I’ve sent a Secure Note with login credentials to the Staging Site.

I’ve checked all of the common issues you mentioned, and additionally, I upgraded to PHP 8 from PHP 7.4, which did not resolve the problem.

I’m now experiencing this on a second site, which is using Cornerstone AND the X Theme (not Pro). That site is running PHP 8.0 and very few plug-ins.

I experience the problem and same Console error in both Firefox and Chrome, on both sites.

Hi @instyletech,

I have checked your staging site but didn’t find the issue you described in your early post. Can you please share any video that helps us to recognize the problem.

Thanks

Hi @tristup, thanks for your attention on this matter. I’ve added a new secure note to my last post with a video demonstrating the problem. I’ve confirmed that this is happening on multiple browsers with cleared caches.

I’m also experiencing the exact same problem on another site. Same error, same circumstances.

Also, I’ve confirmed that multiple admin users are having the same problem, so it’s not a local computer issue. Thanks, and I appreciate you taking a look as we’re dependent on Cornerstone for page layouts and editing.

Hello @instyletech,

I have inspected your page and I am seeing a JS error. We need to fix this error first because it may have caused the issue affecting the builder preview.

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set properties of null (setting 'onclick')
    at (index):184

It came from your custom JS code added to the page:

var goBtn = document.getElementById("goBtn");
var monthlymenu = document.getElementById("monthly-menu");

goBtn.onclick = function() {
  window.location = monthlymenu.value;
}

var goBtn2 = document.getElementById("goBtn2");
var yearlymenu = document.getElementById("yearly-menu");

goBtn2.onclick = function() {
  window.location = yearlymenu.value;
}

Your code should enclose your code in a correct JQuery Syntax: https://www.w3schools.com/jquERy/jquery_syntax.asp

$(function(){

// jQuery methods go here...

});

Please note that custom coding is outside the scope of our support. Issues that might arise from the use of custom code and further enhancements should be directed to a third party developer.

Best Regards.

Hi @ruenel, I’m experiencing this on multiple sites now, with X Pro, Cornerstone Standalone, and the standard X Theme.

I’m running Firefox Developer Edition 96.0b10 (newest version). I experience the same exact behavior. I have cleared my cache, checked plug-ins for updates, and have disabled local browser disk and memory caching entirely. I experience the same issue.

I’ve attempted Firefox Developer Edition safe/troubleshooting mode as well to make sure no extensions could be causing the issue. I experience the same problem, and this is on a different site than I previously shared.

What’s strange is that this issue was occurring when using Chrome, and now I’m not experiencing this issue with Chrome anymore, so I am guessing it’s isolated to Firefox Developer Edition. Is this something you’ve seen before?

Thank you, as always, for your time.

Hello @instyletech,

I am using Brave and MS Edge. I could not replicate the issue. Can you please try to use one of these browsers and see if the issue also not happening from your end?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @ruenel, though we were experiencing this issue with Chrome previously, it’s no longer happening with Chrome, and only seems to be happening in Firefox Developer Edition.

I would love to submit a feature request or bugfix request, as I’m probably not the only person having issues with Firefox Developer Edition and Cornerstone/X Pro. I’ve looked back in past Forum articles, and there a few reporting issues a few years back.

Thank you for your time.

Hello @instyletech,

Your feedback has been noted and added to the feature request.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.