Cornerstone slow or failing to load

A new user is having performance issues with the Cornerstone editor, it either fails to load, crashes or is very slow to save content. This has been an issue for several weeks, and I thought it was slow web hosting causing the problem, so we recently migrated to a better hosting package. I can use the same website without issue using Chrome on Windows or ChromeOS. I’ve asked the user to clear cache but the problem persists.

I’m struggling to understand why it’s so slow and unreliable for her, but works fine for me.

PHP memory limit|256M|
PHP memory limit (only for admin screens)|512M|

We are using v 9.1.4 and Cornerstone 6.1.4

Is there anything else I can do to diagnose the issue?

Hello @nigelwill,

Thanks for writing to us.

It might be the issue of version compatibility issue, Please make sure your theme, plugin, PHP version(7.4 or 7.4+), and WordPress core are updated as per our version compatibility. I would suggest you please contact a hosting provider to upgrade the PHP version if your server PHP version is below 7.4. It is also recommended by WordPress as well.

I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing For Theme Related Issue
  2. Testing For Plugin Conflict
  3. Theme Update
  4. Child Theme
  5. Css/Js Customization
  6. Increasing Php Memory Limit
  7. Disabling Cache
  8. Disabling Cdn
  9. Permalinks
  10. Version Compatibility

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copy your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP Details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Thank you for the information. We were using PHP 7.3 and our hosting has recently made 8.0 available, so I have updated to version 8.0.4. over the weekend.

I have a Staging server available, so I will ask her to test this, I have also requested they try Chrome in Incognito mode, and also alternate browsers Edge and Firefox.

You are most welcome. Please let us know how it goes then.

The person with the issue has been on leave this week, hope to get more details from them next week.

Okay @nigelwill. Our staff will be standing by.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I managed to catch up with her and she described a couple of issues:

• Cornerstone fails to load, just get the spinning circle sometimes
  • Add text to a text element, click on another element and text disappears
  • Inline text editing loses paragraph formatting. Paste plain text, add markups like bold/underline, click off the element and text collapses to a single paragraph.

Hey @nigelwill,

There could be a plugin or custom code that affects Cornerstone behavior.

I recommend the following troubleshooting procedures before we investigate the settings.

1. TESTING FOR THEME RELATED ISSUE
  2. TESTING FOR PLUGIN CONFLICT
  3. THEME UPDATE
  4. CHILD THEME
  5. CSS/JS CUSTOMIZATION
  6. VERSION COMPATIBILITY

Only if none of that helps, please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

I have looked through the troubleshooting links, we have a fairly simple setup and cannot see any problems. So far I’ve only managed to recreate the collapsing text issue when using Cornerstone on ChromeOS 99

I’ve sent a secure note with a link to a video showing this happening on Firefox.

Hello @nigelwill,

Please provide us your WP credentials so that we can log in to your site and investigate the issue further. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Hi @nigelwill,

I have checked your website and found that the Theme Options, Page Builder is properly loading.

If you are still facing that issue, I would suggest you check once by clearing all types of cache including the Style Cache from Cornerstone > Settings > System > Clear Style Cache and check in the incognito/private mode of the browser.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.