Cornerstone preview not working (unresponsive) since November update

I’m unable to load Cornerstone preview for the “Home” page on my website after the November updates. The last time we updated the page was back in October, and things were working fine then. Now, it does not load. After I try clicking reload again, I get a slightly different error message (see below) and then get logged out of Wordpress and am forced to log in again every time I try to reload. Given the seemingly large volume of other posts in this vein, and each with seemingly different causes, making many different support threads necessary, I wonder if these changes to Preview in recent releases is an improvement? It seems the preview should not need to fail so catastrophically like this. Couldn’t it just revert to a “safe” mode that still lets you see and edit things?

Here are the steps I’ve tried to take in troubleshooting. I would really appreciate help in getting to the root of this problem and finding a solution. Thanks!

  • Reviewing several other posts and this support page:
  • Reverting away from my child theme to the regular theme.
  • Deactivating all plugins except for Cornerstone
  • Removing certain content that contained iframes on the Home page
  • Purging caches/disabling, both plugin-wise and on my web host’s built-in caching
  • Using a different web browser

First error:
The preview was unresponsive after loading. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing.

Second error:

Hi there,

The symptom that you are describing which is getting logged out is something that I encounter for the first time. I suggest that you follow the steps below (I understand that you took some of the steps below but I need to know every step is followed correctly):

  1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins. (Disable the Varnish Cache)
  3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  5. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  7. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.
  8. Test if this is happening on all pages or specific ones, if the specific ones get back to us with the name of the page.

Thank you.

Thanks for your response.

After quite a bit more experimentation, I narrowed this down to Cloudways Varnish caching.

Ultimately, I was able to fix it by excluding the “/x/” URL/directory from the Varnish caching on the website. Everything is working perfectly now!

Hi there,

Glad that you have managed to find the culprit and fix the issue :slight_smile: cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.