Cornerstone not working (stuck on loading)

Hi, I’m trying to edit some CSS to fix an issue via cornerstone, but whenever I select the cornerstone option, it just keeps loading endlessly. I noticed there were several topics related to that issue, and I went through them looking for solutions, but nothing seems to work.

Would you be able to login to see what the issue is?

Thank you

Hi Eric,

Thank you for writing in and sorry to hear that you’re having that issue. I see there are some JS errors on the console when opening the Cornerstone (see screenshot below). Please do the common troubleshooting guide provided here (you can skip the Theme update and Increasing PHP Memory Limit).

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

Hey there, thank you for the quick reply. I tried most of the steps that I was able to do myself , but unfortunately I’m still getting the same loading icon when trying to access cornerstone. Do you think it would be possible for you to login and take a quick look to see if you can spot the issue?

Hi Eric,

Please clone your site to staging server so we can try to troubleshoot it.

How to Easily Create a Staging Site for WordPress

I notice that on top of using W3 Total Cache and WP-Optimize - Clean, Compress, Cache plugin the site is also under Cloudflare, this kind of setup can cause issues like what you’re experiencing now if not properly configured.

Please login to your Cloudflare dashboard Purge All the cache and put it to Development Mode for awhile. And clear and deactivate the W3 Total Cache and WP-Optimize - Clean, Compress, Cache for a while to make sure this is not caching related issues.

Purging cached resources from Cloudflare
Understanding Cloudflare Development Mode

Thanks,

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. Do you have any cloning plugin recommendations? I tried to clone my site to a staging server using ‘WP Staging’ but it keeps crashing.

As far the caching plugins are concerned, I purged W3/Cloudflare (and I deactivated them temporarily), but from what I can tell, WP Optimize doesn’t have the caching enabled. In any case, none of that seemed to make a difference.

Would love to be able to get this resolved sooner rather than later, so if there’s anything you can do that might help expedite the process, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Hi Eric,

Please try to exlude theme files from minification. Check this thread for detailed guidance.

I will suggest All in one wp migration. I can see you have it already.

Let us know how this goes.

Hey Lely, thanks for the reply. Is there any way you’d be able to quickly clone the site using that plugin? I tried doing it myself but I can’t seem to figure it out. When I had x theme-related issues in the past, they were able to do it for me and quickly resolve the issue, which is why I ask.

Thanks again for all your help

Hello Eric,

Thanks for updating in! We have documentation that explains how you can migrate your site. It also uses one particular plugin as an example. Kindly check it here:

By the way, I noticed that the JS error in your site is caused by incorrect quotation marks. Please have it updated and use this:

jQuery('<span class="nav-text">Next</span>').insertBefore('a.next');
jQuery('<span class="nav-text">Prev</span>').insertBefore('a.prev');

Hope this helps.

Hey Ruenel, sorry to keep asking questions, but where would I go to do that update? I looked everywhere but I don’t see anything similar to those two lines of code. Also, once I update it, will that solve the issue that’s preventing me from customizing X?

Here’s a photo of the issue (the loading icon that never goes away):

Hello Eric,

The custom JS code was added in X > Theme Options > Custom JS.
_ custom-js

Please update the JS code because it is giving out JS error on the page. After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches since you have W3 Total Cache/CloudFlare so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

And please clear your browser cache too. You may use private browsing mode in testing your site to make sure that you are viewing the latest codes from the updates and not the cached version in your browser.

Kindly let us know if this helps.

Thanks Ruel. The issue is that I can’t access that folder right now. Whenever I select X > Theme Options , it goes back to the loading screen (see below).

Is there a workaround that would allow me to fix the JS code?

Is there a workaroun.

Hello Eric,

I have checked your site again and there are still several JS error:

It could be the customization plugin you are using that is causing the JS issue. Please try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Let us know how it goes.

I tried deactivating my plugins (the only one I didn’t try is rev slider because I’m afraid it’ll cause issues on my site) but I still can’t figure out the issue.

I’ve also spent several hours trying to clone my website (following the guidelines above), but every time I try to import my original site, an error occurs and it doesn’t work. I’ve tried many plugins/methods but I still can’t get it to work.

At this point I really don’t know what to do. I can’t fix the JS code because it’s still giving me the loading icon and I can’t further troubleshoot it because something in my website is preventing the clone/migration from working.

Would it be possible for you to fix the issue using another method. I’ve been at this for 4+ days and I’m still not any closer to finding a resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Eric,

Please provide us your FTP details so that we can check your theme files and resolved this issue. We know the frustration when a certain issue is still going on. We feel the same looking for the resolution as well. We need to access your FTP and investigate further. You can provide the FTP details in a secure note. To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Thank you in advance and please bear with us.

Thank you Ruenel, I appreciate it

Hello Eric,

Thanks for providing the information. I have investigated the issue thoroughly. I have done a test for a plugin conflict, fixed the JS error I pointed out, and even reinstalled WordPress, X theme, and Cornerstone. I switched to the parent theme and I found out that you have inserted this PHP code in your child theme:

/** Defer Parsing Of JavaScript*/
if (!(is_admin() )) {
    function defer_parsing_of_js ( $url ) {
        if ( FALSE === strpos( $url, '.js' ) ) return $url;
        if ( strpos( $url, 'jquery.js' ) ) return $url;
        // return "$url' defer ";
        return "$url' defer onload='";
    }
    add_filter( 'clean_url', 'defer_parsing_of_js', 11, 1 );
}

This is the one causing the issue. I have temporarily removed the PHP code. You can now go to X > Theme Options and edit a page in Cornerstone. Kindly check your site now.

Best Regards.

Thank you so much, Ruenel. I’m finally able to edit again.

Do you know what purpose that code was serving?

After we removed it, I noticed a few issues have popped up on my site and I’m not sure if they’re related. Most notably, the revolution slider on my blog page is no longer working (see below). And all my paralaxes no longer work on mobile devices. Is it possible this code had something to do with that?

I can open a new thread if that’s preferable.

Thanks again!

Imgur

Imgur

Hello Eric,

That code is used to optimize your site but most of the time, it causes issues like the ones you had and other javascript issues.

As for the new issue you are getting, please post a new thread to avoid confusion as this thread is getting longer.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.