Cornerstone not launching before or after update to X v6

We built this client site with X back in November 2014. We used Cornerstone for the majority of page layouts and had it set to be used for pages and posts from inception.

The client has been using the site OK for the past few years, but I noticed last year that when opened, the pages launch into the visual editor and not cornerstone. And also that the visual editor is populated with loads of shortcodes surrounding content that the client is editing.

I asked them why they weren’t using cornerstone, and they had forgotten all about this ‘page builder’. So at some point over the past couple of years, Cornerstone has stopped working, the client hasn’t told me and they’ve been editing existing and new pages in the visual builder.

I finally found time to update the site yesterday to X version 6.0.4, in the hope that this would correct the issue of Cornerstone not launching. But it hasn’t. When I create a new page or post, it launches the visual editor, even though I have it configured in Theme settings for pages/posts. Or is this the way it works and has always worked? I have to actually click on the Cornerstone tab to start editing in cornerstone? This may explain why our client now only works in the visual editor as she never clicked the Cornerstone tab?

So, the other bigger problem is that now the client has been editing our cornerstone layouts in the visual editor, what she works with is obscured with loads of shortcodes. But if I want her to work again within cornerstone, to be more efficient and take advantage of the new features it offers, cornerstone warns me that I will loose all my content when I convert the page to cornerstone. I’ve tested this with some dummy pages.

So we are in a bit of a pickle here! Is there a way to convert all our page layouts back into cornerstone, other than manually reconstructing them?

I’m running PHP 7 and WP 4.9.4. I think i updated X theme from v4.6.4.

Hey There,

Would you mind providing us with login credentials so we can take a closer look? Please provide following information:

Set it as Secure Note

  • Link to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password
  • FTP credentials

All the best!

OK> Secure Note addd above

Hi there,

Looks like the issue is with the content and there is no automatic conversion. What was the version where it still working?

I checked and the cornerstone is loading okay and it’s fast, so the issue here is the content and you’ll have to manually correct them. And you mentioned it was working for last few years which could be the issue since it’s been old and there a lot of feature gaps between the latest version. And there is no other way but manually fixing and re-doing content.

I recommend restoring your site to the last version where it still works, then clone it in staging and update it there, and fix all issues.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.