Cornerstone can't edit page without loosing all the content

We have a site running the latest version of Wordpress and Version 3.2.3 of Pro theme, when I edit a page in Wordpress I see a “classic edit” and all the corner stone information is there in shortcodes, but there’s no option to edit with Corner stone (pro), when I updated the 4.3.3 version of Pro the pages wouldn’t load any content and the cornerstone/pro editor would load up a blank page and I would have to start again with the content, how can I updated the theme and keep the pages editable in corner stone/pro page editor?

Hello @agilepixel,

Thanks for writing to us.

Please make sure your theme, plugins, WordPress version is updated as per our version compatibility page. In case if your PHP version is below 7.4, I would suggest you update the PHP version to 7.4. Please have a look at this article to learn more about the recommendation from the WordPress

In case if you have not seen our doc about how to update the theme please have a look at it.

After the update of the server and PHP version, you must clear the cache so that the latest code renders properly. In case if it doesn’t work for you, I would suggest you troubleshoot a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing For Theme Related Issue
  2. Testing For Plugin Conflict
  3. Theme Update
  4. Child Theme
  5. Css/Js Customization
  6. Increasing Php Memory Limit
  7. Disabling Cache
  8. Disabling Cdn
  9. Permalinks
  10. Version Compatibility

I would also recommend you please follow these steps.

1. Deactivate the Pro theme
  2. Activate the WordPress default theme
  3. Delete the Pro theme
  4. Download the Pro theme from the Themeco Dashboard
  5. Install the latest version of the Pro theme and activate it.

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copying your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP Details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Hi thanks for coming back to me, I’ve checked the PHP version which is 7.4, I’ve been through and tested the various suggestions, but none appear to have the desired effect, the main issue is that when I update to the latest version of the theme, all the corner stone pages are effectively broken because the site doesn’t see the pages already being corner stone pages, instead they’re just classic text pages, and opening corner stone just starts from scratch.

https://dev.lutyensrubinstein.co.uk/wp-admin/post.php?post=517&action=edit

as an example.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hey @agilepixel,

Pro 3.2.3 has a bug that separates the WordPress Text Editor and Pro. The Pro Content Builder button is located below the WordPress Text Editor.

I updated your dev site to Pro 4.3.3 and the Cornerstone content is still there. You can still edit the page in Pro.

What could have happened in your live site is your server or web host does a database clean-up after a theme and plugin update. This is not Pro’s doing. Pro does not have a feature that will wipe out the contents of your site except for the Theme Options reset which is far from the issue.

Please contact your web host to learn why the WP Post Meta where Pro’s Content Builder data resides is deleted after a theme update.

Thanks.

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly

https://dev.lutyensrubinstein.co.uk/to-buy/ this page for example Vs https://www.lutyensrubinstein.co.uk/to-buy/ the one on the updated site doesn’t appear to be loading any page content?

additionally the styles between the upgraded/updated site and the existing site seem quite extensively changed, is there a way to get the update to maintain the existing styles for the site and pages?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi @agilepixel,

As you described above, even after the update to 4.3.3 the Cornerstone data has been already lost, the update has nothing to do with this issue. I’m afraid there is nothing we can do with this, it’s either rebuilding the page in Cornerstone or restoring the site to earlier backup when the Cornerstone data are still intact, and then starts updating the WordPress, Theme, Plugins from there.

Let us know how it goes.

Hmm that’s not ideal, if all the shortcodes are there for cornerstone (as it’s working on the current (old) theme version) how come the connections get lost during the upgrade to the point where the page is entirely unrecoverable? is there no way to jimmy Cornerstone into recognising that the page IS a cornerstone page? I realise it’s a terrible comparison, but WP Bakery has no issue jumping between normal editors and the visual composer interface as it just reads the shortcodes? is it just that the header for the Cornerstone file is missing from the page or something that I could manually re-connect?

Hi @agilepixel,

I have checked your page and found that the content is not loading in the Content Builder whereas it shows in the Default Editor. There might be something that corrupts the content to be recognized by the Builder. If the content is showing perfectly in your live server, I would suggest you save the content as Template by using the Save Template option on the page.

test new - Conte

and then go to Pro > Templates and download the Specific template, you saved with the content.

And import the same template in your dev server, by clicking on the Import button shown in the above screenshot.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Smashing thanks, I’ll give that a try

Hello @agilepixel,

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.