Cornerstone: Add link to existing content with WPML multilang site only yields english results

Hi,

We’re having trouble adding a link to existing content for translated pages and posts with Cornerstone.

Example: We create an English post and a Dutch translation (we use WPML for multilanguage support). We want to link to our About page, so we select some text, click the “Add link” button and then search for “About us”. This works fine for English pages. But if we try to do the same thing for the Dutch translation of the post and search for “Over ons”, we only get English search results. There is not a single Dutch page to be found among the results.

If I create a new page without Cornerstone and add a link in Wordpress’ default editor I do find Dutch pages.

Also see attached screenshot for an example.

PS: This could be a WPML issue but since Cornerstone does pick up the right language in the editor and even shows little language icons in the bottom right corner so I can switch between translations, I’m inclined to think that WPML is working fine?

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

I saw similar issue before but it’s too old and I don’t remember if it’s fixed or not. But yes, it’s more related to WPML as the theme doesn’t have direct integration with search queries.

Would you mind providing your site’s URL and admin login credentials? I like to check first what’s happening.

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I’ll provide the url + credentials right after I finish typing this message :slight_smile:

Hey @martyn.simpson,

I think the issue here is, when you translate your page within Cornerstone (using the flag icons), the translated page’s title remains the same (in English). That is why you won’t see translated pages.

If you create a page outside of Cornerstone and use the manual translation method of WPML, you can change the title so you are able to search for translated pages.

If my assumption is wrong, please provide the steps for us to replicate. I see WPML is deactivated in your site. Please activate and configure it and also provide a sample page for us to investigate. It would be best if you could provide a screencast so we could see the actual issue.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for looking into it. I think you were looking at the wrong (multi)site, we’re seeing the issue on keylanecom.brightside.nl (not wp.keylaneetc). Anyway, I’ll check your assumption after the holidays and report back.

Thanks again so far :slight_smile:

Hey @martyn.simpson,

Sorry for the confusion with the site I investigated. But, it looks like my assumptions are correct. Here’s the titles using the manual translation I saw with your existing page.

And, here’s a test page using Cornerstone.

I’ll post this to our issue tracker so our development team could be made aware of this use case.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.