Child Theme Setup – What's next?

Hi there,

I have the latest version of theme X running on my site (which is currently under construction while I update). I set up a child theme with no problem. Until now, I’ve mostly made css updates in Appearance > Customizer > Custom > Additional CSS which has worked fine, but I’d like to customize further now.

I’m using the renew stack and would like to make the following changes:

  • Change my blog post pages to display featured image before title
  • Change the font type and styling of post blockquotes
  • Add in media queries to adjust how pages appear in mobile

My main question is where do I go to make all of these changes? I’ve been working exclusively in my browser designing in Cornerstone. I haven’t touched an FTP or worked locally at all. In order to make these changes, do I need to access a local file, work in a text editor, set up a repository, deploy via terminal? Or can I continue to work in my browser and customize the child theme via Cornerstone?

Hey there,

Re-positioning the image would require template (PHP) modification.

Changing the font for specific elements and adding media queries and other CSS based customization could be added in the Global CSS.

Regretfully, this particular customization request is outside the scope of our support as this is not related to an issue with the theme and instead has to do with your customization of it. As such, you will need to investigate this particular issue on your own or seek help from a developer should you not feel comfortable making these changes yourself. We do have an in-house custom development team that offer paid services, who may be able to assist. They can be contacted at [email protected] if this is of interest to you. If you have any further questions about the theme, we are more than happy to provide you with assistance on these inquiries.

Thank you for your understanding.