Checking if an update to PHP8 at WMPUDEV hosting could trigger a critical error in Pro theme

Yesterday my websites based on the PRO theme were working fine. Today, I am getting critical errors, on only Pro theme based site. Are there any known issues? I was told WPMUDEV updated to PHP 8.

I did a little more checking after I managed to get the theme changed to a basic layout. When I do a preview themes on PRO I get "Fatal error: Unparenthesized a ? b : c ? d : e is not supported. Use either (a ? b : c) ? d : e or a ? b : (c ? d : e) in /var/web/site/public_html/wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/includes/classes/elements/class-element-front-end.php on line 112

There has been a critical error on this website."

1 Like

Hello Arthur,

Thanks for writing in! The Pro theme 6.x version fully supports PHP 8. Please make sure that you are using the latest version. You may need to update your Pro theme manually. Kindly check out this documentation:

Best Regards.

Thank you for the response. I do not know if this is related but after completing the update I created a Header in Cornerstone. My front page shows at the bottom of the cornerstone app with my header on top. However, when I go to view the front page on the front end, there is not there. The template for the page is blank container with a header and footer. I turned off all plugins. I tried different Integrity, renew, and ethos stacks. Here is a link to the home page https://penetratingradar.com/. The header I created was generic material from adding the header via Themco. Thank you.

Hello @Fromm,

In order to help you with your concerns we need to check your settings I would request you, please share the admin login details meanwhile I would suggest you troubleshoot a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings. Please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin-level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Thanks for the response. Before I replied I wanted to do some more troubleshooting. I am having the same issue on 7 hosting accounts that are hosted at WPMUDEV.org. The problem is consistent in that when it happens Cornerstone in Pro saves but the changes are not shown on the front end. I have cleared Max Cache, WPMUDEV Cache, and I do not use caching. My sites are not that big. I have gone to the extreme of removing all plugins and all themes, which helped but is not a practical solution. The only consistent and repeatable fix is to “Reinstall WP 6.1.xx” and follow up with “Network Upgrade.” Then and only then changes in Cornerstone will appear on the front end. It is not clear for how long. I have had to repeat the procedure but there is not a predictable set of circumstances that cause the issue.

Hello Arthur,

You can clone one of your sites to your local computer. You may use " Local - Local WordPress development made simple (localwp.com)" so that you can also test and troubleshoot in your local computer.

Best Regards.

I am unsure what your are telling me. I have done all the troubleshooting I can do. Is there anything or suggestion you have as to why I need to reinstall WP 6.1.xxx and do a “Network Update” to get revisions in Cornerstone to show at the front end? It seems to a glitch of some sort.

That error is unfortunately in the core Pro theme of version 5 so you’ll need to upgrade to the latest pro to get rid of the fatal error or step down to PHP 7. Most of the issues with PHP 8 were with our plugins so I would start there to. Things like the email forms if you are using them. Let us know if that helps.

I am using PHP 8, forced to. I do not use any Pro plugins. I only use Pro’s Cornerstone tool to build headers and footers, no pages, compartments, or other. Again Cornerstone seems to work most of the time after reinstalling WP 6.1.xxx and then doing a Network Upgrade (in that order).

Hello Arthur,

It is good to know that Cornerstone has worked after reinstalling the WordPress core and the Network upgrade. We really appreciate for letting us know.

Best Regards.

This continues to be an ongoing issue over 8 hosting accounts effecting 15 or so sites. Basically, I make changes in Cornerstone and save them. The changes appear in cornerstone but to not appear on the frontend. The only way I can get the changes to show on the frontend is to reinstall WP followed up with a Network upgrade.

Hi Arthur,

It is very unfortunate that you have to do that. I would request you share your website login credentials to investigate the reason behind the problem.

Thanks

I spent far too many hours documenting and troubleshooting my sites and working with an agent at my hosting (WPMUDEV). The bottom line is the PRO theme seems to be making changes somehow directly to the database. These changes are not visible without clearing object cache. The 3 fixes I found are to a) manually clear the object cache, b) while using Cornerstone I can edit WP-Config and add "//Disable OB cache
define( ‘WPMUDEV_HOSTING_OBJECT_CACHE_ENABLED’, false);
c) reinstall WP followed up with a Network Upgrade every time I the edits do not appear on the front end.

All three of these work. I am outside my realm here but in the end, I am under the impression it is not recommended or best practice to have your product directly editing the database. Is it common for high end themes or plugins to directly edit the database and not make edits via WP?

Given there are 1000’s of PRO users like me, possibly having the same issue should I post this at Wordpress.org to assist others?

Hopefully, these comments are user friendly and assist with Theme.co providing a better product to us end users.

Hey Arthur,

We’re glad that your issue has been resolved and thank you for sharing your ideas on how you fix it, it might help other users.

Cheers!

I am surprise you consider that a resolution. It is a band-aid. It is a little like saying I should put air in a tire that goes flat every night because you sold me a leaky tire. So I will post here an other places that Theme.co approved approach for using Cornerstone is to apply one of these 3 fixes a) manually clear the object cache, b) while using Cornerstone I can edit WP-Config and add "//Disable OB cache
define( ‘WPMUDEV_HOSTING_OBJECT_CACHE_ENABLED’, false);
c) reinstall WP followed up with a Network Upgrade every time I the edits do not appear on the front end.

Something sounds up with your setup and caching. If you can post credentials we can take a deeper look. I’d start with adding the following (which your caching plugin really should be doing). All saves are routed through WordPress and I audited our raw DB grabs and none of them are updates or inserts. Using the DB directly in WordPress is very standard whether I like it or not, but it’s not something we try to do at all. They are mainly for adding in JOIN statements to a SELECT and there are not very many. Let us know if you can share your setup otherwise I’d contact WPMUDEV.

add_action( 'save_post', function() {
  wp_cache_flush();
}, 1000);

Hi, I’m having a similar issue. Could someone take a look at my site?

Hey @fh_media,

We recommend that you create a new thread along with your WP details so our support staff can investigate the issue on your site. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
– Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.