Changing body font size is blocked

Hi there,
Wanting to change my general text font size from 15 px to 16 px I went to launch/options/typography just like before the large update last year. Actually it seems to be set to 16 px. But it doesn’t show, I’m stuck to 15 px.
In CSS there is a customization for my blog page and the postings to 15 px, the latter I was able to identify and change. So postings show in 16 px now, all the rest - nope. Pages and blog page are 15 px. Could you please help?
(I disabled Fastest Cache before trying changes, the problem must be somewhere else)
Thank you
Karen

Hi there,

Thanks for writing.

It seems to be working, the root font will just act as the multiplier, and you still need to set the font size for Body and Header (in rem). Hence, if the root is 16px, and body font is set to 2rem, then the resulting font size that will be applied to the body will be 32px.

Right now on your site, it has 16px root (base), with the blank value for body font size (rem), and looks like it falls back to 0.938rem, in which the body became 15px.

If you wish to achieve the 16px font, then make the root 16px and Body font size to 1rem.

Thanks!

Hi Rad,
thank you. I tried every setting now, “inherit” and “body copy” and 1 rem and even 2 rem - no change at all to be seen.
Only when I set root size to 17px something happened. But what you explained about 1 em is logical and should work, shouldn’t it? What am I doing wrong? :frowning:
Regards, Karen

Hey Karen,

I have logged in to your site and checked the typography section. I found out that no matter what you do, all your setting changes will not be saved. There is an error going on the pages which prevents the theme option from saving it. There might be a corrupted file or missing file that caused this issue. Could you please re install the theme? This is to make sure that all files is in tack and not corrupted. To know more how you can re install it, please check see the “Manual Updates” from this page:

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi Rue Nel,
thank you very much for checking this and finding the error :slight_smile:
Will that reinstalling work the same way with X-Child Theme? I downloaded the file from dashboard alright. So I upload that zip file, activate it and with some luck the problem should/could be gone?

Thanks, Karen

Hi there,

It may not fix it, would you mind providing your FTP login credentials as well? This looks like data error. Toggling on and off the font manager freezes my browser, and changing the font size triggers error. Changing other settings works okay, the data could be corrupted.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thanks, but can’t find any error through FTP. So I did export your settings and imported to my test installation, it breaks too and now I had to re-install a new copy.

As a workaround, please import this file setting under Admin > X > Overview > Customizer Manager, and if you like to do some editing, you can change the value of x_content_font_size_rem, I currently set it to 1 which is rem, so resulting font will stay in 16px. But please backup your site first so you can restore your site anytime.

I still can’t find the real cause of this issue on your site, I’ll continue checking.

Thanks!

Hi Rad,
thank you. I’m afraid I don’t really understand… actually my general font has changed, it used to be Open Sans (I think), not it is something completely different - but I can’t see which font it is. Nothing is displaying in the font manager. It just says “enabled”. When I chose Open Sans last year a box opened with about 200 fonts to choose from?
So I don’t really know how to handle this.
And if I click the file with file settings you sent in the secure note I just get a blank page - ?
So I’ll wait for any instructions…
Really would love to know what happened to my site.

Thank you and regards
Karen

Hi Karen,

Ah, with the latest version, you will have to choose the font through Font templates. You can go to Admin > X > Launch > Templates > Fonts. And there you can add font templates and assign fonts for each template (examples are Body and Heading). That’s why if you go to Admin > X > Launch > Options > Typography, you’ll see the templates you created in which you can assign to the body and heading.

I think you need to do that, have you just recently upgraded to the latest version? Do you still have the old backup? You can try exporting the old customizer setting and import it back to your updated site (still, you need to create font templates)

Thanks!

Hi Rad,
my update is not recent actually, I did it after the first major bug fix.

Right, thanks for explaining. So I’ve got font templates assigned now. In “Typography” it says Open Sans 16 px, fine, and for headings “Raleway”. Fine too. Colors and link colors are fine.
It just doesn’t show - the complete page is in Times 16px. I emptied all cache again, no change. Whats going on?

Thank you
Karen

Hi Karen,

Looks like the import won’t update the data either, I tried it my local and import works okay too. Perhaps there is a database caching in your host environment? Is there a way we could check your database? Like with PHPMyAdmin.

Or you can do this, login to your database management and find your database and table wp_options (or similar depending on prefix). Then search for the field name x_content_font_size_rem. You should change its value.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thanks, could you try checking it again? I changed the value to 1rem through database and it’s now appearing as 16px, then I set the font to Open Sans.

Thanks!

GREAT! Rad, you’re my sunday hero :slight_smile:
Thank you very very much! On occasions like these I always realize what “really great support” means…
Cheers
Karen

1 Like

You are most welcome!
We’re just glad we were able to help you out.

Hi there. One more question to really understand - something still seems to be strange and I would love the whole problem to be solved :slight_smile:
So, when I go to Typography in Customizer, everything is fine. Font settings fine, “1 rem” is set, everything’s there.
But when I use X --> Launch --> Options -->Typography, the settings are different and look weird. See screenshots. It would be really great if you could have another look.
Thank you,
Karen

Hi There,

The theme option of the X page coming from the font template which has a dynamic value of line height. Thats why it may looks like this. But in WordPress theme option there is no line-height and its not depends on the Template.
So its looks different.
This is not affect your original page.

Hope this is clear to you.

Thanks

Hi Basanta,
seems as if there is nothing to worry about. Great!
Thank you
Karen

You’re most welcome, Karen.

So sorry, topic is issue again… see secure note.

Hi there,

This isn’t anything about the database access. This message is about the file permissions on some of the files on your site. You might need to double check the debug.log file and change the file permission.

Although the Secure Notes you have posted in the thread are only visible to the staff, you can delete them anytime you like.

Hope this helps.