Changes To Ethos Renew Magazine Layout

Hi, I would love some help on how to alter the visual of the Ethos Magazine Renew layout on Themeco.

I would like help with a few things in its layout. Please let me know if these need to be separate forums and I will delete this one and create new ones.

1. How do I add a line between posts? Please see images for example. I want the Renew layout to have elements from the Ethos layout.

2. How can I change the content underneath the title to only say my name, date, and reviews? No “leave a comment”

3. How can I change the text of these excerpts to a different font?

4. My posts are currently showing the whole excerpt. How can I create a summary of the manual excerpt I have written with either a read more button or just cut it off with three dots (…) ?

5. Is it possible to alter the margins between the author/date/review and the excerpt to contain less white space? And if the line is added, how to alter the margin/padding space between posts.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Hello @astersblog,

Thank you for the detailed information. Regretfully what you are trying to do already requires customization which would mean adding a custom CSS and change the element structure of the elements on the page. Bear in mind that each stack has a unique and independent design from each other. They have a different element structure for each of these stacks. If you can use Ethos stack, it would be much each to switch stack instead.

1.) You can add a custom CSS that adds a border between your post items. You need to use the Google Chrome Developer Toolbar to check the live HTML code and find the CSS selector of the post items you need to use. You can then add a CSS border property in your custom CSS code. You can check out this CSS help for your reference:

2.) This will require a complete recoding of the post metadata for each of the post items. The following thread maybe able to help you:

3.) This again this a custom CSS. Following the steps in #1, you need to use the Google Chrome Developer Toolbar to check the live HTML code and find which CSS selector you need to use for your custom CSS to apply the CSS font family. Check out this documentation:

4.) This will require you to add Manual Excerpts. Check this out first on how you can add Manual Excerpts here:

If you want to control the length of the excerpts, you can adjust the number of words in X > Theme Options > Blog > Content and then adjust the “Excerpt Length”.

5.) If you can modify the #2, you can remove the spacing manually from the custom post meta code.

Note: We are unable to provide support for customizations under our Support Policy.

If you are unfamiliar with code and resolving potential conflicts, you may select our One or Care service for further assistance.

Here are some related links for further reading, this could help you in finding and implementing some CSS fixes:

Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks for the speedy reply, seems like the changes are a bit more advanced than what I’m looking for. May look into customizing CSS once I have a bit more experience with it.

I was able to change the font using theme x customizer options, no CSS needed.

In regards to excerpts, I am still not sure what is going on. I adjusted the excerpt length to only show 5 words and it is still showing the whole excerpt/meta description. Please see photo thanks. I updated, saved, and refreshed the site and the excerpts did not change.

Hello @astersblog,

I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing for Plugin Conflict
  2. Child Theme Issue
  3. CSS/JS Customization
  4. Disabling Cache

If none of the above help, please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.