Changes in Child theme not appearing - main theme being used instead

There are two changes I want to make to my site so I copied the relevant files over to the views folder of the child theme with the correct stack name.

Using the Portfolio change I want to make as an example:

I copied,

pro/framework/views/renew/content-portfolio.php

to

pro-child/framework/views/renew/content-portfolio.php

There I made changes to remove the Portfolio Post Type “Image” and the date from appearing on the overlay which appears on Mouseover.

Aside: I would also like to remove the need for a mouseover and just have the Portfolio Item Title displayed immediately on the image on load if you can suggest how I do that.

I saved the new file and Tested the live page and there is no change. I emptied the cache and there is no change. Grrr.

What am I doing wrong?

Hello @nicomorgan,

Thanks for writing to us.

The features that you want, it would require custom development. I would suggest you consult a developer who can assist you with your concern or you can avail our service called One, where the customization questions are answered.

Please note that we don’t provide custom development or child theme customization support. It is out of the support scope.

Thanks for understanding

That is a very disappointing attitude given that the forums here are full of advice on how to edit files in the child theme. Have you basically changed the theme so it is impossible to edit as a user? I now have to join yet another fee-paying service to simply get the sort of customisation option other themes give as standard?

However my portfolio (Zoo) page has no Landmark Title and “+” indicator to use for filtering by Portfolio category (Animal Group) which is essential for this Zoo website.

I assume this is because when you create a Pro Header you lose the Landmark page title bar and therefore the filter option. How do I get it back?

Hello Nico,

Thanks for updating in!

Please check out this thread first: Remove hover over on portfolio

For your Landmark Header, you need to display it back by using the default header on the portfolio page. Or you may also check out this thread: Category and Archive Header Landmark

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks Ruenel, that’s got it.

It’s not obvious how you add the default header back on pages. Do you simply remove those pages from the pages that the custom header applies to?

Hey Nico,

Yes, you need to remove the pages from the customer header assignment and you should not have a Global Header.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks Christian.

How do I assign my new header to pages like category archives?
It is working on the Portfolio page but I have a menu item which links to all the blog posts in that archive so that page should also have a header indicating that that is what the reader is looking at. e.g. Food Archive or Drink Archive. I can’t determine which pages I should assign the new Landmark Header to in order for this to work.

Also the Portfolio Page Title is wrapping and I can’t work out which CSS definition is causing it.

wrap

Hi Nico,

Regretfully, currently there no such option to set the Header for specific category archives.
In the near future, you can have full control over blog layouts, posts, index pages, and archive pages using Layout Builder.
More details about the Layout Builder was posted in our June Status Report here: https://theme.co/content/status-report-june-02-2020

And regarding the Portfolio Page title, can you please share your site URL so we can investigate the issue at our end. Please share the website credentials if the login is required to see the pages.

Thanks

Ah don’t worry. In the end I have switched off the Pro Headers because they break the landmark titles which is sub-optimal to put it mildly!

Category and Tag Archives are useless without a title which tells you what you are looking at so I have reverted to classic headers so I have the breacrumbs to indicate this along with the landmark header.

We’re glad you sorted it out.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.