Can't make a topbar visible above the main header menu

Hi there,
I’m trying to add one more navigation bar above the main menu on this website www.elastic.io, so that it looks like this:

The blue part is this navbar that I’m trying to add. Now, when I go to the Appearance -> Customize, I don’t see the Header option, only the Menus option, and nothing I did there made a new topbar appear. I also tried to activate the topbar option from X -> Theme Options -> Headers -> Miscellaneous, still nothing.

I’ve read here on the forum that it might be because we have a custom header, but I don’t know how to find that out. I was not the one who created the Child Theme’s template, plus it is possible to edit the main menu from the Appearance -> Customize just fine. It’s just not possible to add a topbar on top of it.

I also tried adding a _topbar.php file under child-theme -> framework -> views -> global with the following code:

<?php

// =============================================================================
// VIEWS/GLOBAL/_TOPBAR.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Includes topbar output.
// =============================================================================

?>

<?php if ( x_get_option( 'x_topbar_display' ) == '1' ) : ?>

<div class="x-topbar">
    <div class="x-topbar-inner x-container max width">
      <?php if ( x_get_option( 'x_topbar_content' ) != '' ) : ?>
      <p class="p-info"><?php echo x_get_option( 'x_topbar_content' ); ?></p>
      <?php endif; ?>
      <?php x_social_global(); ?>
    </div>
  </div>

<?php endif; ?>

But that didn’t change anything either, plus I don’t know what else to do with that. Do I need to register it somehow in functions.php?

By the way, I also thought this might be due to a plugin conflict, but I deactivated plugins on Staging one by one to check that and it didn’t change a thing, the topbar was still not showing.

Can you please-please help?

Hi @elasticio,

Thanks for reaching out.
The _TOPBAR.PHP is the file that is responsible for the Topbar, it might be something else for which it is not able to show the exact result you are expecting.
I have checked and found that the X theme is not updated to the latest version i.e. 8.3.3 whereas the Cornerstone is in the latest version i.e. 5.3.3. I would suggest you update the theme by following the below steps and check if that resolves your problem.

1. Delete the Cornerstone
  2. Update the X theme to the latest version on automatic updates
  3. After the X theme is updated, use the link in the dashboard to automatically install the Cornerstone. It will be at the latest version

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hi @tristup,

Is there any other way? On staging, I have both the Cornerstone and the X-theme up-to-date, there are no changes in this respect there. In addition to that, we have styled quite a few elements from Cornerstone’s CSS editor. If I delete it completely, so will all that local CSS styling be deleted, which is a disaster.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!

Hi @elasticio,

The CSS and other content are stored in the DataBase, deleting the theme will not affect that. Still, I will strongly recommend that you perform a backup of your website and then update the theme.

If you are trying to add only the Login link into the Topbar, you can add the custom HTML code into the Theme Options > Header > Topbar.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hi @tristup,

Ok, thanks for the explanation re DataBase, and you were right, the CSS was not affected.

So I did exactly how you described:

1. Deleted the Cornerstone plugin completely
  2. Updated the X-Theme to the latest version
  3. Installed the Cornerstone from the link under the Dashboard > X

Unfortunately, that didn’t change anything.
I still don’t see the Header option under Appearance > Customize, hence I cannot activate the topbar. And regarding your last message – even if I add a Login link under Theme Options > Header > Topbar, I don’t see anything at all, because the topbar is not displayed.

Do you maybe have any other ideas what might be wrong with this menu? :pray:

Hello @elasticio,

In order to help you with your concern, we need to check your settings, please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Hi @prakash_s,

That would be awesome!

Thank you so much! I’m really looking forward to the results of your investigation.

Hello @elasticio,

I checked your site it seems that you have customized the theme with a child theme. I also noticed that you have removed all the code of the header.php file just because of that the Topbar content that is X–>Theme Option—>Header---->Topbar is not showing on the frontend. It would be best if you could copying your live website to your staging area. then deactivate the child theme and then activate the parent theme. After you activate the parent theme go to X–>Theme Option—>Header---->Topbar—>Add here

Theme-Options-Pro

OR

You have to add custom code in your header.php file to render the custom menu to the Header topbar for that would require custom development. I would suggest you contact a developer who can assist you with your concern. Please note that we don’t provide custom development support or customized child theme support. It is out of the support scope.

Thanks for understanding

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.