Can't assign the same category twice

Hi there,

I have posted about this problem before, however the answers I received differed from what I wrote. Please please can you try to understand what the problem is before replying. I have copied the original thread again…

I cannot assign the same category twice, to two products. So I cannot have two products with the same category i.e. a location. I’ve tried disabling all plugins, and I have the same issue. When I add the same category i.e. “Auckland” to multiple products, it deletes that category from other products so that only one product has one category at one time. Please help as I need to launch the site soon and I can’t organise my products (cars) by location as only one car in each location shows.

(original threa)…

Woocommerce categories and tags only one

noahrg
Jun 27
Hi,

On the woocommerce products (dashboard side) page. If I quick edit to add categories or tags, it will delete the same categories or tags that another product shares. So for example, if I have one category which is supposed to be shared by 2 or more products, it will delete that category off other products, so at any one time it only shows one category or tag per product. This means that when I display all the products (with categories showing under their titles, using essential grid) it only shows one category per product. I’ve disabled all plugins already, including essential grid, and it will still only display one category per product on the dashboard ‘products’ page. Meaning it also doesn’t show when I display the product front end. Thanks for the help.

Secure Note
Woocommerce tags/categories problem
2

last reply
25d
6
replies
35
views
3
users
3
links

alexander
Staff
Jun 28
This is how categories and tags are intended to behave in WordPress. In a way they exist once and can be applied multiple times. Changing it in one place effects all the other places. This is powerful if you quickly need to rename a category across hundreds of products. If you need to edit just one, you’ll need to create a new category or tag for that individual item and remove the previous tag.

noahrg
Jun 29

Hi Alexander, thanks. The reply button was not appearing yesterday.

My problem is the categories can not be applied multiple times. If I add the same category for multiple products, it deletes the category off other products, so I only ever have one unique category per product. For example I need four products to share the category ‘Auckland’, but when I add it to all four, only one, the last one added, will show. This is causing a problem when I display and filter the products on the shop page, as each category only has one product. I’m using The Grid, to do this, however have already disabled all plugins and had the same issue. Thanks very much
SECURE NOTE
Hi RueNel,
Thanks. Sure thing it’s *** Thanks. If you check out products, and quick edit categories, only one will show if you add them twice. Meaning when they’re displayed I can’t filter them properly).
This information is only visible to you and our staff.

Secure Note

RueNel
Staff
Jun 29
Hello There,

Thank you for the clarifications. To better assists you in this issue, could you please give us the url of your site and the WP access if needed so that we can take a closer look at this issue?

Thank you in advance.

noahrg
Jun 30

Hi RueNel,

Thank you. I’ve added a secure note to the reply above, as I couldn’t find a way to post a secure reply to your reply. Thanks very much
SECURE NOTE
Aha found it, it appears after a reply…
“Hi RueNel,
Thanks. Sure thing it’s *** Thanks. If you check out products, and quick edit categories, only one will show if you add them twice. Meaning when they’re displayed I can’t filter them properly).”
This information is only visible to you and our staff.

Secure Note

noahrg
Hi RueNel,

Thank you. I’ve added a secure note to the reply above, as I couldn’t find a way to post a secure reply to your reply. Thanks very much

RueNel
Staff
Jun 30

Hello There,

Thanks for providing the information. I have checked your products and you have a hard time identifying what to place in a category or tags. These are the possible categories: Colors, Places, Opinion, News, Articles. Tags could be something related to a category like red, white, australia, etc. For more information about categories and tags, please check this out:

I have made test product post and assigned it to your categories using quick edit. I could not replicate the issue.

Could you please clarify further?

Thanks in advance.

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in!

Are you assigning categories just like this?

I can confirmed that only one gets registered and displayed. I have tried this one by creating a compact car category. I tested it and I can say the only the last one has been assigned to the category. Further investigation showed that you are using a WooCommerce 3.1-Beta. So I went ahead and updated it to the latest and stable version 3.1.1. I tested it again and now the issue has been resolved.

If you encounter any issues in your site, please make sure that the theme and all your plugins is up to date. Out dated version will potentially create some issues in your site.

If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.

Awesome thanks very much that worked.

Hi @noahrg,

Happy to hear that.

Feel free to ask us again.

Thanks. :slight_smile: