Can I change thumbnail image frame?

Hello I’ve got a question.

I’m wondering, if I can change the view of my thumbnails?
The thumbnails are cut off in a weird way and I would like to adjust them a little bit and maybe move them a little bit up or down.

www.positivesongwriting.com is the domain.

Thanks for the help, Marc

Hello Marc,

Thank you for the details. I have checked your site and I found out that you are referring to the featured images in the recent posts element. By default, the recent posts element will display the cropped version of the featured image. Please make sure that you uploaded almost the same dimensions for the featured image. Bigger images will be cropped by the way. If you want to display the fullwidth instead, you will need to modify the recent posts element code. And before we can do that, since what you are trying to accomplish requires a template customization, we would highly to suggest that you use a child theme. This allows you to make code changes that won’t be overwritten when an X update is released.

After the child theme is set up, please add the following code in your child theme’s functions.php file

// Full Image in the recent post element
// =============================================================================
function x_shortcode_recent_posts_v2code( $atts ) {
  extract( shortcode_atts( array(
    'id'           => '',
    'class'        => '',
    'style'        => '',
    'type'         => 'post',
    'count'        => '',
    'category'     => '',
    'offset'       => '',
    'orientation'  => '',
    // 'show_excerpt' => 'true',
    'no_sticky'    => '',
    'no_image'     => '',
    'fade'         => ''
  ), $atts, 'x_recent_posts' ) );

$allowed_post_types = apply_filters( 'cs_recent_posts_post_types', array( 'post' => 'post' ) );
  $type = ( isset( $allowed_post_types[$type] ) ) ? $allowed_post_types[$type] : 'post';

$id            = ( $id           != ''     ) ? 'id="' . esc_attr( $id ) . '"' : '';
  $class         = ( $class        != ''     ) ? 'x-recent-posts cf ' . esc_attr( $class ) : 'x-recent-posts cf';
  $style         = ( $style        != ''     ) ? 'style="' . $style . '"' : '';
  $count         = ( $count        != ''     ) ? $count : 3;
  $category      = ( $category     != ''     ) ? $category : '';
  $category_type = ( $type         == 'post' ) ? 'category_name' : 'portfolio-category';
  $offset        = ( $offset       != ''     ) ? $offset : 0;
  $orientation   = ( $orientation  != ''     ) ? ' ' . $orientation : ' horizontal';
  // $show_excerpt  = ( $show_excerpt == 'true' );
  $no_sticky     = ( $no_sticky    == 'true' );
  $no_image      = ( $no_image     == 'true' ) ? $no_image : '';
  $fade          = ( $fade         == 'true' ) ? $fade : 'false';

$js_params = array(
    'fade' => ( $fade == 'true' )
  );

$data = cs_generate_data_attributes( 'recent_posts', $js_params );

$posts = get_posts( array(
    'orderby'             => 'date',
    'post_type'           => "{$type}",
    'posts_per_page'      => "{$count}",
    'offset'              => "{$offset}",
    "{$category_type}"    => "{$category}",
    'ignore_sticky_posts' => $no_sticky
  ) );

$output = "<div {$id} class=\"{$class}{$orientation}\" {$style} {$data} data-fade=\"{$fade}\" >";

foreach ($posts as $post) {

if ( $no_image == 'true' ) {
        $image_output       = '';
        $image_output_class = 'no-image';
      } else {
        $image              = wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id( $post->ID ), 'full' );
        $bg_image           = ( $image[0] != '' ) ? ' style="background-image: url(' . $image[0] . ');"' : '';
        $image_output       = '<div class="x-recent-posts-img"' . $bg_image . '></div>';
        $image_output_class = 'with-image';
      }

$output .= '<a class="x-recent-post' . $count . ' ' . $image_output_class . '" href="' . get_permalink( $post->ID ) . '" title="' . esc_attr( sprintf( csi18n('shortcodes.recent-posts-permalink'), the_title_attribute( array( 'echo' => false, 'post' => $post->ID ) ) ) ) . '">'
                 . '<article id="post-' . $post->ID . '" class="' . implode( ' ', get_post_class('', $post->ID) ) . '">'
                   . '<div class="entry-wrap">'
                     . $image_output
                     . '<div class="x-recent-posts-content">'
                       . '<h3 class="h-recent-posts">' . get_the_title( $post->ID ) . '</h3>'
                       . '<span class="x-recent-posts-date">' . get_the_date( '', $post->ID ) . '</span>'
                     . '</div>'
                   . '</div>'
                 . '</article>'
               . '</a>';

}

$output .= '</div>';

return $output;
}

// =============================================================================

add_action('wp_head', 'change_recent_posts_to_v2');
function change_recent_posts_to_v2() {
  remove_shortcode( 'x_recent_posts' );
  add_shortcode( 'x_recent_posts', 'x_shortcode_recent_posts_v2code' );
}

And the featured image will display the full original image which you have uploaded. It is being used as a background image. You might still notice that it is being cut off, you would then need to apply the following CSS code in the X > Theme Options > Global CSS (http://prntscr.com/evui3r)

.x-recent-posts .x-recent-posts-img {
    background-size: contain;
}

We would love to know if this has worked for you. Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.